noob commuter, some questions

r_mutt
r_mutt Posts: 10
edited December 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, I've just started commuting to work on a mountain bike a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it so far.
I've been researching changing the set up a bit as it never goes off road much at all. I have 26x2.1 knobbly tyres on at the moment but think I would like to get a set of road types on there, what's the thinnest I could go (my rims aren't as chunk as they could be) does it all depend on what rims I have? Also, what are peoples thoughts on spd's for a 5 mile each way commute, is it overkill?

Comments

• pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    There's a chart at the botton of this page showing what tyres fit on what rims, but it will depend on your rim width:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

The biggest advantage will come from switching to slicks, so don't agnonise too much over the size.

SPDs are personal preference. I used to use them on a 5 mile commute, because I was used to them on other bikes.
  • Not sure about Mountain Bike commuting but you will be better on slicker tyres until the winter really kicks in.

As for SPD's they are more efficient in the most part to pedals etc. Main thing is getting used to them and if you're planning to use them on trails etc then why not!!
  • SPDs are AMAZING....if your commuting on an MTB I would recommend them highly. If your new to SPD learning to use them on an slick MTB is a good idea, a drop road bike with spds is a different ball game until your use to it...I suggest

Tyres, width will as already said depend on your rim size. Swalbe mararthons seem most popular
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Have a look at schwable city jet tyres, very good budget slicks.

I used to use 1.5`s on my subway 1 and i could really fly .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • r_mutt wrote:
    Hi, I've just started commuting to work on a mountain bike a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it so far.
    I've been researching changing the set up a bit as it never goes off road much at all. I have 26x2.1 knobbly tyres on at the moment but think I would like to get a set of road types on there, what's the thinnest I could go (my rims aren't as chunk as they could be) does it all depend on what rims I have? Also, what are peoples thoughts on spd's for a 5 mile each way commute, is it overkill?

Same here! On an MTB, doing the commute on slicks. I think my commute is around 6 1/2 miles if I take the short route. Also use SPDs (Shimano PD-M520), makes such a difference. You can get more power down on the pedals and you don't have to worry about your foot slipping off and the pedal ramming you in the back of the calf (ouch!).

As for rims my knobbly tyres (which I'm about to put back on due to the mud and leaves) are 2.0, the slicks I use are 1.5. With respect commute time i think I shaved around 2/3 mins off my commute.
  • r_mutt
    r_mutt Posts: 10
    Nice one, think i'll go for both slick tyres and invest in some new pedals and shoes. I can see myself using the bike as my main form of transport, the cars only seen light use over the last couple of weeks and has been left in the garage mostly, I must admit just that on its own brings quite a good feeling with it
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    r_mutt wrote:
    Forget going super thin. You won't be hammering along at roadie speeds on an MTB so the efficiency benefits from skinny tyres will be largely nowt but the lack of comfort will be noticable.

A nice set of fat slick or semi slick tyres is my recomendation.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • sexysi
    sexysi Posts: 50
    Get yourself some decent lights as well.

si
    "Oh, Edmund! Can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hands, a nugget of purest green!"
    Road = 1980 Raleigh Record Sprint
    MTB = 2000 Scott Vail
    Road = 2002 Peugeot c300 comp road race bike
    Road = 2012 Bianchi Impulso
    Car = Saab 93, MGTF
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Just put Shimano SPD - M520s from Wiggle on my mountain bike for winter commuting - why didn't I do it sooner? I've got SPDs on my road bikes, but thought the flexibility of using everyday shoes would outweigh the benefits of using SPDs. I was wrong! Really enjoying using SPDs on my commute

(They are a bit noisy at the mo, but I guess they will settle down when the cleats and pedal get to know each other.)

I use 26x1.75 Schwalbe Marathon Pluses (got 'em from Spa Cycles) and some dhb M1 MTB Shoes (Wiggle)

Very pleased with these recent changes!
  • I have run Schwalbe Big Apples on my Kona MTB for commuting, they were brilliant (for me) much quicker than nobbly tires, kevlar for puncture protection and plenty of air/size for comfort/aesthetics.

I recently switched to Conti TopContact Winter tyres, a little smaller than the Big Apples but big enough to retain a comfortable but quick ride.

If your MTB runs discs brakes, you can also pick up a set of 700c disc wheels and run narrower 700c tyres. I did this (as an experiement) and ran 700c wheels fitted with Specialized Infinity 700x32c tyres ... actually worked very well, here's what it looked like:

MTB nobbly front and Big Apple rear:
    219631_10150229081545985_686225984_9005565_2127919_o.jpg

700c
    e3d9187e.jpg

Conti:
    15653b9c.jpg

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Daz555 wrote:
    r_mutt wrote:
    Forget going super thin. You won't be hammering along at roadie speeds on an MTB so the efficiency benefits from skinny tyres will be largely nowt but the lack of comfort will be noticable.

A nice set of fat slick or semi slick tyres is my recomendation.

+1. I've just put a set of of Schwalbe landcruisers on my station hack bike which are dirt cheap but roll great on tarmac plus can also handle light offroad / trail / tow path. A great allrounder. come in 26x1.75 and 1.95 amongst other sizes. very clever tread pattern which gives a small continuous solid contact point for on road but also excellent grip whhere you need it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    If your MTB runs discs brakes, you can also pick up a set of 700c disc wheels and run narrower 700c tyres.

- Jon

Out of interest, what wheels did you get?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I got these when they were on sale at £89/set

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPM1250525/ ... r_wheelset

No issues so far, although they are now on my hybrid project rather than the MTB.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url