Gary Speed RIP

random man
random man Posts: 1,518
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
I've just read the news that Gary Speed, Wales football manager, has died aged just 42. Some things just should not happen, and this is one of them.

Condolences to his family, a very sad loss.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I read this too - he lives not a million miles from me near Chester and i saw him recently at my nephew's footie tournament.

Hung himself it seems!! RIP Gary Speed :(
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Fantastic player for Bolton, could play as a defensive or attacking midfielder, great passing and shooting.

RIP
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Really shocked when I saw this, but it goes to show that mental health issues don't discriminate on the basis of fame or wealth. Can't imagine what his family is going through right now.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Really shocked by the sad news, he always seemed to me a really likeable guy. And he had done a great job in getting Wales into a more respectable ranking. His loss to football is nothing though compared to the loss to his family and friends.

My deepest condolences to his wife and children.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Shocking and very sad.
    I see a lot of depressed people through work etc and it's easy for us to think 'how can he be depressed when he's a football manager/has a wife and kids etc'
    :(
  • RIP, a model professional & talented manager.

deepest sympathy to his friends, former teammates and family.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I saw him play many times when he was at Leeds. Always gave of his best and was a model professional. Subsequently I've followed his career with interest. He always came across as one of the good guys. A sad loss.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    afx237vi wrote:
    Really shocked when I saw this, but it goes to show that mental health issues don't discriminate on the basis of fame or wealth. Can't imagine what his family is going through right now.

Really sorry to to hear this, a top player,

But also to quote in such circumstances. I see no mention of "health" issues, I must be missing something.

L n H

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Speed was an unsung hero, and one of the most underated footballers ever - He was a great professional, and possibly the most consistently good player of all time. One of those that got on the pitch and did his job each and every time. Sad, sad loss.
  • Ill never understand what makes someone take their own life such a tragic loss RIP Gary Speed
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Horrible news, really shocking, just so sad, RIP :(
  • DIESELDOG
    notlongnow wrote:
    Ill never understand what makes someone take their own life such a tragic loss RIP Gary Speed

See my quote.

Been there.

Love n hugs

DD

• RIP such a terrible shame.

A person must be in a "very dark place" when they think taking their own life is the best option. Selfishness is a character trait that would manifest itself throughout your life and others would know you as being selfish, while the act of suicide is pehaps the ultimate act of selfishness, it doesn't mean the person taking their life is actually selfish.

I've known several people that have committed suicide and I would not have described a single one of them as selfish as a person.

I don't know how many on here have personally known any suicidees but all the ones I've known have all been male. Is it a predominantly male act?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    I've followed Wales home and away since the eighties- saw him make his debut against Costa Rica. sad , shocked, gutted , numb. As footballers go, he was always pleasant. Met him loads of times, as recently as August at the national Eisteddfod, gorffwys mewn heddwch Gary
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    notlongnow wrote:
    Ill never understand what makes someone take their own life such a tragic loss RIP Gary Speed

See my quote.

Been there.

Love n hugs

DD

With respect, as I get the feeling you've been to some dark places, you can't have been to this particular place or you wouldn't be here now.

As a Leeds fan I've followed Gary Speed's career closely. Seemed like a very good guy to me. Sad.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    So sad, thoughts going out to Gary Speed, his family and friends. May he rest in peace.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,821
    Poor kids :(
  • Always sad that someone is so low and unhappy that the only solution they can see is to kill themselves..
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Haven't got a clue who he is sorry but that's just tragic, however he died, at 42, way too soon for anyone to lose their life ....
  • DIESELDOG
    jim453 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    notlongnow wrote:

See my quote.

Been there.

Love n hugs

DD

With respect, as I get the feeling you've been to some dark places, you can't have been to this particular place or you wouldn't be here now.

As a Leeds fan I've followed Gary Speed's career closely. Seemed like a very good guy to me. Sad.

Yes Jim, I have, but as you rightly say, not that particular place, well not to that extent. My BIL did though. So I do have first hand knowledge and experience albeit one that I would dearly love not to have.

Suicide is vile, but the final act of a very, very desperate person.

Love n hugs

DD

PS, probably not a good idea to confess to being Leeds only fan :wink:

• Missed this thread. Very sad :( RIP Gary.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    It's a tragedy in so many ways

Don't know the causes but fame and fortune are no protection from illness. It can be a dark and lonely place.

My deepest sympathy is with the family

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283