Which wheelset?

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi guys

I'm looking to get a new wheelset ready for when I get my new bike in February next year, I'm thinking of a budget of around £250 and have seen these 2 sets so would like peoples opinions.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... -wheelset/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-pro-zet ... lset/#more

I could maybe push to these if there would be a noticable difference

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-cosmic-el ... lset-2011/

Thank you, Andy :)
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You have noticed that the RS8o price is for rear only?...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • andy46
    Massive fail on my part :oops:

Should I delete the thread and start again?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• andy46
    **Thread edited** :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Nope, you should save up some more money :)

The RS80s are much nicer wheels than the F5's (on a par with F3 and Krysium Elites). The important point though is what are you replacing and why...and what is the intended usage? For instance, if you are planning some long tours I would go for some handbuilts because you could get a spare spoke and take it with you in case of problems. The RS80s are great but it isn't a great time of year to be buying nice wheels...why not wait until Spring if you can?

Edit: Sorry, just read the the first post again. If the bike is coming with some wheels, why not just use them for the first few months (and then put them aside for winter/turbo usage). Hence, get some miles in, see what you fancy and then start looking for new wheels in April?
  • andy46
    I can wait, I'm not getting the bike till late Feb/early March. My lbs is letting me pay it off monthly interest free. The reason I will be changing the wheels asap is that they are my own wheels off my old Trek 1.1 and the bike I'm getting deserves better than that, not sure what wheels it should have as standard as they got damaged as the bike was loaned out by Forme to a triathlete for one race, not sure what happened to them but the bike is in mint condition apart from a small scuff on one of the cranks.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    I have some unused Fulcrum 5s with ultegra 10 speed looking for a new home if you are interested. They have new tubes and slicks on but these can be removed. pm me if you want them.
  • If you can afford them a pair of Ksyrium Elites as these are fantastic. I got some RS80's but had to return them to Ribble twice as the spokes kept coming loose. They gave me a good deal on the Elite's after i gave up on the Shimano's.
  • either spend more money or get some planet x model b
    you are shopping in the price range where their existence makes everything very bad value.
  • andy46
    Yes I think it would be worth saving up a bit more money and doing it properly, has anybody on here had any experience of Pro Lite wheels? They have these in my lbs.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• I have Pro-Lite Luccianos, roll great, I can't detect any flex and have stayed true. I really wanted the Meranos but were out of stock and not likely to arrive in for a couple of months back in the spring.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • +1 for waiting
    I was desperate to upgrade wheels and tyres fitted to a Sectuer I got in late August but someone on here suggested that I ride them out through the winter and treat myself in spring. Now seeing the crappy filthy roads and what the turbo is doing to my rear tyre I am glad I took the advice and I will be shopping in Feb/Mar for a nice set for the season and will keep the fitted ones for future winters use only.
  • go into an lbs and discuss your needs with them or alternatively phone wiggle and get their advice and thoughts on the specific models you are referring to...oh, wait.

Seriously though, some lbs' like ours will have killer dealsd on wheels at the moment and as it is a lean time of year are more likely to help out.

Shop locally if possible, in all likelihood it will be cheaper than online.