SRAM Powerlink problem

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I am having a problem with an SRAM powerlink i have recently purchased. I have connected it to the chain as per the instructions; however i cannot get the pins to slide all the way into the slots.

How do i get them to slide all the way into the slots? I have looked at the video on youtube and it looks really simple, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Comments

• What are you doing?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • obvious question but is it the correct version - 8, 9 or 10 speed?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    assuming it's the correct type to match the chain...

with the link positioned on the lower part of the chain path, squeeze the side plates together, just finger force, and drag down on the chain to tension it, that'll at least ensure the plates are in the correct position, if they don't fully engage with that tension then hold the rear brake lever to lock the wheel and apply some force to a pedal until you hear the link click fully into place
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sungod wrote:
    assuming it's the correct type to match the chain...

with the link positioned on the lower part of the chain path, squeeze the side plates together, just finger force, and drag down on the chain to tension it, that'll at least ensure the plates are in the correct position, if they don't fully engage with that tension then hold the rear brake lever to lock the wheel and apply some force to a pedal until you hear the link click fully into place
    Don't you mean on the upper length of chain?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    nicklouse wrote:
    <...>
    Don't you mean on the upper length of chain?

i always do mine on the lower length and just click it in with fingers, but yes doing it on the upper length would be better if it needs pedal force to finish it off
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Must surely be easier done on the lower length of chain. Gravity will let both ends swing down. You lift the two ends and pull them taut together, pushing the Powerlink halves through the holes at the same time. Kind of fiddley on the top length of chain.
  • Woodywmb wrote:
    Must surely be easier done on the lower length of chain. Gravity will let both ends swing down. You lift the two ends and pull them taut together, pushing the Powerlink halves through the holes at the same time. Kind of fiddley on the top length of chain.

Not to fully engage the link, no.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles