Pannier rack..bags...not a clue

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
My wife very much wants a rear pannier rack and bags for her GT traffic 2....now although I, like many on here, know a little bit about bikes/parts and all the rest of it panniers have me RATHER BAFFLED!!!!

So....what do I get/avoid? What prices am I looking at?

I want quality for her, but not over kill - so a lightish rack and decent bags - maybe looking to spend a £100 perhaps? For an analogy I want alivio quality, deore quality would be great, XT quality will probs be overkill for now

Hope that makes sense!

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    To wet your appetite, here is my experience with the Altura Dry-line pannier set on a Tortec Expedition rack:
    http://wokingham-cyclist.blogspot.com/2 ... -rear.html
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    I use these:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/fuse-panniers-ec023175

Totally waterproof, light, easy to carry, easy to attach to / remove from frame, highly visible with reflective strips. They come in black too if the orange is overwhelming...

For obvious reasons, I chose orange...

4967588056_177c7a64f5.jpg

Rack is a fairly standard Bontrager job. No idea what type, not sure how much difference it really makes...
  • That looks fnegroni, under £70 for two bags on wiggle, a lot cheaper than I thought. Any good in the rain?

Bi50n - great colour bags, can't for life of me see why on earth you picked orange though....
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    The Dryline bags have survived now over two years of commuting in all weather, including thunder storms and snow storms. Completely downpour-proof.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    GT Traffic 2 has standard pannier eyelets BUT the seatstay eyelets are a bit low. This means that the rack stays will be very long and bendy. Look for a rack with very stiff/strong connecting stays.
    There is little room for a rear light so try and get a rack with a rear light bracket.
    In theory, every pannier should fit every rack but there are some stupid racks around.
    The best pannier fittings are locking, quick-release such as Rixen and Kaul. R&K are used by many pannier brands (such as Altura). Each R&K hooks need a circular section of rod or tubing to wrap around. If there are 2 lengths of rod welded alongside eachother, the hook cannot lock.
    3 leg designs are stiffer than 2 leg. Blackburn style racks have one set of legs angled in for extra triangulation. A stiff rack can support heavier loads without affecting the bike.
    If the bike lacks mudguards, then a solid top-plate will provide some protection. If you use mudguards, then an open framework top provides easier access to the pannier mounts and extra lashing-on points.
    Some companies (Topeak) do proprietry sliding rails on the top-plate for bags. I think it is better to use a standard rack.
    Tubus are the best racks for heavy duty use but overkill for everyday.
    The best I can find is Lezyne power rack
    also
    Tortec Velocity Hybrid but the top-plate is a bit narrow for loading up.
  • I have the Topeak super tourist rack and MTX EX bag & pannier on my commuter :)

Happy with both. Bag attaches (& removes) easily and quickly. Rack (& bag) has fixing to attach lights too. Have to buy the waterproof cover though as bag is only water resistant. They should include it in the bag :!:

Highly recommend it though :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Have a look at Carradice. Aside from being really good quality, they are made in Lancashire so you get to help our economy rather than someone elses - which is perhaps a good idea! Service is really good as well.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... duct_id=49
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for the replys! Lot happier about making a descision now!

Not sure what I'm getting yet as other things (mudguards :roll: ) take priority

Cheers!