So, it's nearly December, up here....

Richrd2205
Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
edited November 2011 in Pro race
There's been a few mentions of a Northern/Scottish get together on the London thread.
I thought I'd start a thread to see if folk would like to meet up somewhere.
Responses including the following would be welcome:
Glasgow/Stirling/Edinburgh/eslsewhere?
With/without bike ride first?
& what dates might work?

Comments

• I would happily participate in an Edinburgh meet ... Sadly the Tourmalet bar is situated in the back end of nowhere so would prove difficult to anyone other than those from Edinburgh, otherwise would have been an obvious, yet decent, idea ...

My suggestion would be Teuchters in tne west end of Edinburgh ... Only 5 minutes from the train station ...
  • Richrd2205
    The Tourmalet in Leith? It's only a mile from Waverley....
    I don't know Teuchters at all, but haven't done that many pubs in Embra. The Sheep Heid, the Doric & Cafe Royal are my known/preferred pubs over there.... Happy to try new places but...
    Would you make it to this side of the central belt if that was preferred?
  • Glasgow of an evening isn't my favourite venue ... Being allowed to use your return train ticket is a bit of a lottery from experience ...

Let's see what others think ... I'm not ruling it out totally ...
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm very keen to meet up, although I'm less keen on a bike ride before hand because-
    1. I'm middle aged and plump
    2. I'd have to put the bike on a train to get to the central belt
    3. I'm very slow
    4. my city riding skills are rubbish and I would end up being run over by a bus

In short, you'd all be embarrassed to be seen with me.

Weather depending (and right now, I fear the roof may come off), I'd love to meet up. Glasgow or Embra? six and half a dozen to me really.
  • Richrd2205
    Thanks for replying, Tusher!

Should I point out that I'm a qualified cycling tutor & spend a significant chunk of time taking folk out in cities who have poor city riding skills, or should I simply accept point 2? ;-)

OK, thus far, there's 3 of us & waiting on a 4th possibly joining in who's expressed interest in another thread....

As things stand, Embra is preferred (I would prefer Glasgow, but don't mind too much; Crankbrother is less keen on Glasgow than I am on Edinburgh), but we have no date suggestions.
    Bike ride beforehand looks to be a no go.
    So.....
    Can we have date suggestions and/or school night/not school night preferences?
    & any other folk wanting to join in, please feel free
  • Wed 14th or Thu 15th December any Good?

Not concrete but an idea to move things forward ...

If people are happy witn Tourmalet I think that would be an obvious bar to meet for obv. reasons ...

ps. If others aren't feeling Edinburgh then speak up ...
  • Tusher
    I can't make the 15th, but can get to the 16th.
  • Tusher
    ..........and one day I may just take you up on your cycle teaching skills!
  • I had assumed a friday so close to xmas would be a no go but my work xmas 'do' is the week beforevso the 16th is fine by me ...
  • Tusher
    Do you think any of the commuting gang would be interested? I do venture in there, but I'm not sure how many are in Embra.
    The Tourmalet looks very nice. Walking distance from Waverley?
  • Richrd2205
    I can't do 16th, or the 9th.....
    Fridays aren't good for me in the next few weeks.
    Can I suggest a doodle? Someone just needs to collate email addresses by PM & we can shortcut a big process.....
    Otherways. Nights that work for me are:
    30/11 & 1/12
    6/12
    15/12
    I can do a bunch of other nights, but time is more limited....

For location, can I suggest that we don't do the Tourmalet if Tusher is walking?
    Teuchters or the Doric seem like good options. You want to make final choice since we're leaning towards Embra, Crankbrother?
    Oh, & please feel free to invite the commuting gang, Tusher. Unless Crankbrother is unhappy with this....
    Citycycling Edinburgh might like to join in too. But others might dilute the amount we can talk about Cavendish....
    ;-)
  • Teuchters is the most central option ... 5 mins walk from Haymarket station (or 15 from Waverley) ...

As for the date ... Up to you guys but steering away from the obv xmas weekends seem senible ...
  • Hi folks. Sorry I am late to this party......promise I will be on time on the night. I would prefer Stirling or Falkirk but Glasgow or Edinburgh are fine too. I'll try to fit in with what other people can manage date wise, the only date I cant do is the 15th. It will be great to meet up with you all.
  • Ok, reading back the posts ... 14th December (Wednesday), Teuchters edinburgh, 7pm(ish) ...

Yays or nays (and if too many nays alternatives) ...
  • Yay. :D
  • Tusher
    Oh please don;t change it from Tourmalet just for me- it's not that far to walk, and I can always get a bus or taxi back to Waverley.

I was going to say tram there but................
  • Tusher
    Aaargh.Have consulted social secretary, and I'm due to have a toe nail removed that morning. So I'll not be keen to be walking very far afterwards to be honest. But I should be able to drive down to Dunblane and catch the train from there.

Away to check out the commuters
  • Tusher
    OK, I've invited the commuters and the Tour and Ex gang along with CakeStop.

sumosprintstar, perhaps we could arrange a spring/summer meet which could include actual riding and then Corrieris.
  • Tusher wrote:
    OK, I've invited the commuters and the Tour and Ex gang along with CakeStop.

sumosprintstar, perhaps we could arrange a spring/summer meet which could include actual riding and then Corrieris.

Sounds like a great plan. I will look forward to it. :D
  • Tusher
    (hangs head in shame)

Em, well, y'see..........I am so sorry, but I'm going to have to cancel.
    It's to do with The Nativity Play, which annually requires the organisational skill of the D-Day Landings. (I'm in charge of what passes for a choir. There are recorders to synchronise. This is akin to herding cats.)
    And people who've had their toenail removed tell me that it's agony for a couple of days afterwards and even walking a short distance would be too much.

Buggrit. I am now focused on the spring/summer ride and Corrieri's meet in the Stirling area.