Cassette and Chain

jizzleb
jizzleb Posts: 135
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am in desperate need of replacing my chain and cassette for the first time and looking at the huge abundance of different models out there I am a little bewildered and wondered if any one could offer some advice? Specs -

9 Speed
Hardtail
Fairly cheap!!!
Do a fair few muddy XC miles every week

Currently running a Shimano Deore cassette with a SRAM chain.

Any advise on a decent budget set would be great,
Canyon Nerve XC
Spec Allez
GT XCR SingleSpeed
GT Dyno

Comments

• If you're happy with how things ran just stick to like for like. The further up the food chain you go you lose a little weight and at the top end gain a bit of performance. It's a toss up between cost and what improvements you are genuinely going to feel. I prefer KMC chains over SRAM but there are many people on all sides of the chain manufacturer divide. None of the standard chains from the big boys will let you down and with regular maintenance you get good mileage out of all of them.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Probably what you have now..a Deore cassette will cost £16 and a Sram 951 chain £15...both from Merlin sign up for VIP (which is free) and get 10% off...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    KMC chain, Shim or Sram cassette. Cheap ones replaced as required.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jizzleb
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Probably what you have now..a Deore cassette will cost £16 and a Sram 951 chain £15...both from Merlin sign up for VIP (which is free) and get 10% off...

Thanks for that, didn't see them for that cheap, ordered and job done!
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • Pudseyp wrote:

Havent they made VIP spend £50 + ??
  • jizzleb
    Yeah I didn't get the 10% however they still seemed to be cheaper than elsewhere.
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno