Morning deer, very near miss.

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,353
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Nearly got taken out by a very large stag this morning. Riding through Bushy Park and I can see a stag chasing another deer quite a way off. They start heading my way so I slow down and start talking to them to make sure they know I'm there. They look like they are going to pass behind me and at the last minute the one being chased changes direction and cuts across the front of me. I brake as hard as I can. The large stag struggles to change direction as quickly then slips when his poxy cloven hooves hit the wet tarmac. Missed me by inches, I don't know quite how I stayed on. Two of his mates then went passed but in a rather more controlled manner.
I know the deer are unpredictable when nervous and I treat them with caution. Never been quite so close before.
New shorts please.
Oh, no dogs called Benton or Fenton in sight.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Veronese! Jesus Christ!
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I slow down and start talking to them to make sure they know I'm there.

What on earth did you say? Calm down deer?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Remember that vid of the mountain biker being taken out by an Impala or similar, with the tagline 'ONLY IN AFRICA'? I remember at the time thinking 'surely something very similar could happen anywhere there are even-toed ungulates' (thank you wikipedia). This just sort of proves my point...
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I slow down and start talking to them to make sure they know I'm there.

What on earth did you say? Calm down deer?
    Always start with "morning deer" or whichever time appropriate greeting. Then whatever crops up. I think I finished that exchange with a few expletives.
    I may be wrong, but if they are close to the path I tend to think some noise means they are less likely to be statled as I pass.
    Sometimes I just ride along whistling.
    Last night as I was riding through and I could hear antlers clashing not too far away, but couldn't see anything. That was quite odd.
  • Veronese - can I suggest this book. You could ask Santa to get it for you for Christmas (or you could buy it for yourself before Christmas then ask Rudolph to get Santa to buy you something you might really like)
  • veronese68
    Hmmm, they do make some very odd noises. There's one that sounds like a comedy vintage car horn.
    What about colours? Are deer red/green colour blind? In which case my bright red top might as well be camouflage. What would make me more visible to a bloody great beasty with pointy bits on it's head?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sounds like a close call, but I think that the stag took the scalp.
  • I'm sure deer are programmed to avoid predators. Perhaps you should dress like this while commuting. The deer (and to be honest pretty much everyone else) would most likely avoid you on your morning commutes.

Glad to have been of assistance....

41sUWdvGr9L._AA300_.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm sure deer are programmed to avoid predators. Perhaps you should dress like this while commuting. The deer (and to be honest pretty much everyone else) would most likely avoid you on your morning commutes.

41sUWdvGr9L._AA300_.jpg

You'd have to ride no hands though.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    I'm sure deer are programmed to avoid predators. Perhaps you should dress like this while commuting. The deer (and to be honest pretty much everyone else) would most likely avoid you on your morning commutes.

41sUWdvGr9L._AA300_.jpg

Sorry that is a very paw joke.
  • Remember that vid of the mountain biker being taken out by an Impala or similar, with the tagline 'ONLY IN AFRICA'?

That video sounds like another good one for a Benton/Fenton mashup. Shame I'm at work without editing software :(
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • veronese68
    notsoblue wrote:

41sUWdvGr9L._AA300_.jpg

Sorry that is a very paw joke.

This thread seems to be going down the route of the no hands yiffing thread. Does seem strange that two seemingly disparate threads end up in the same place. Special awards to WBW and NSB
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    This thread seems to be going down the route of the no hands yiffing thread. Does seem strange that two seemingly disparate threads end up in the same place. Special awards to WBW and NSB

Why thank you Veronese. I think I might put my award above the fire - next to my "most handsome bloke out there" award.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I know the deer are unpredictable when nervous and I treat them with caution. Never been quite so close before.
    New shorts please.
    There are times of the year when deer couldn't give a monkey's as they have their mind on other things (or more accurately another thing). I've nearly been knocked over by a pair of amorous deer whilst out in a forest. Doesn't matter what you do, wear or how loud you shout they are simply not interested.