Demolition Site and Work Office

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Knocking a site down about 2 metres from my window at work. Big digger jack hammer thing breaking concrete. Building is constantly shaking!

Do I have to put up with this and should my employer be doing something?

Comments

• Gazzaputt wrote:
    Knocking a site down about 2 metres from my window at work. Big digger jack hammer thing breaking concrete. Building is constantly shaking!

Do I have to put up with this and should my employer be doing something?

You'd think they might have temporarily moved you lest any stray chunks go through the window, that kind of thing. Sounds like that machine can't be doing your ears much good either, unless your office has damn good double glazing.

David

P.S. If in doubt, blame Wiggle. ;)
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • you would be surprised how high the thresholds are for nuisance in this sort of thing. ask your boss to carry out a assesment of noise etc.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    The law probably says something like:

'Employers should take reasonable steps to provide a reasonable working environment'

Define 'reasonable'.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Well it's clearly not reasonable having that going on outside the window - how are you meant to concentrate on Bike Radar with that racket going on ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Check the health and safety at work act, I'm sure a risk assessment by your employer and the contractor will have bwen undertaken as by the sounds of it the works will require a party wall notie/award .
    Insert witty signature here
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Just go home, mid morning, a few days in a row, complaining of a splitting head ache from the noise. They'll soon move you to somewhere more peaceful !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    MattC59 wrote:
    Just go home, mid morning, a few days in a row, complaining of a splitting head ache from the noise. They'll soon move you to somewhere more peaceful !

Like a box, about 6 x 2 x 3. Or 7 if you're tall. All measurements are approximate and can be tailored to individual needs.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • The contractor carrying out the demolition should have carried out a Risk Assessment that covers noise & the impact upon others.

At the same time the client who is having the building demolished should also have taken noise & disturbance of others into account at design stage & a CDM Co-ordinator should have raised the issue of noise prior to any works being carried out.

If anything all your employer can do is raise a complaint to the contractor or report it as a public health concern. With regards to specific noise limits http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/regulations.htm
    Ribble R872
    Specialized Langster Monaco
    Trek 6300
  • the noise doesn't sound like a big deal

it's the airborne asbestos particles I would be worried about

ask to see the demolition/refurb asbestos survey
    If they haven't got one, panic
  • sorry meant to say I'm in agreement with mattc59 if you can get away with it!
    Ribble R872
    Specialized Langster Monaco
    Trek 6300