OMG my feet are soooo cold!! what socks?

mikewoods
mikewoods Posts: 135
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
I went out last night and it was fecking cold!!! I ride clipless with shimano shoes m780 or something like that - which basically turn into an ice box when cycling - i literally couldnt feel my feet after an hour and a half training blast down the loal cycle path. I was wearing thick socks too - any suggestions of good socks that will allow me to retain some feeling and warmth in my poor toes!!?

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    sealskins always score good reviews..

or try find some merno wool sock this has really good insulation properties.....

even overshoes on your devils shoes could help.....
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    X2 on sealskinz keep your feet well toasty.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Socks more or less irrelevant, use overshoes.

For some strange reason I decided not to wear mine yesterday, I can only think it was just early morning brain failure. Despite quite thick woolly socks my feet were in a horrendous state by the time I got to work.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sealskinz are excellent. They're not as thick as seriously warm woolly socks, but they keep the wind off your feet very well. they obviously make a big difference when it's wet too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sealskinz thermal
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I use some sort of thick hiking socks which arent too bad. Also, dont do your shoes up to tight as it can restric blood flow to your feet, which doesnt help obviously.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Sealskinx Thermal with merino undersocks

Dry, windproof and toasty
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Brigdale All Mountain socks...if you can fit them in your shoes!
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Get some nice Winter shoes. Some waterproof / windproof / goretex / spaceframe ones should suffice. Make sure they are not too tight either.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A pair of silk sock liners and a pair of merino wool socks, then a pair of overshoes on top. You are at risk of your feet bursting into flames though.

I have tried Sealskinz and I hate them they make my feet feel damp and cold and when it rains the water runs down your leg and fills up the sock. At least with wool and silk you stay warm when they are wet, after all sheep have been using wool for a while and it seems to work for them.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    stubs wrote:
    after all sheep have been using wool for a while and it seems to work for them.
    And seals have been using skin for a while too :wink:

don't try telling me they're not made from actual seals, we all know it's true!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Layers:

Feet
    Socks
    Poly bag
    Show

Works for me.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +1 for overshoes or winter boots. I didn't like SealSkinz either, but that was a good few years ago, imagine they're better now. I like merino socks, notably Woolie Boolies, although Endura BaaBaas are pretty good too.
  • Njee, how well do you think over shoes would fit with flatties? much chance of catching them all thime?

Been looking at it as an option for a bit but never sure with flatties.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    talking overshoes - anyone recommend the best for going over trainers? I got some last year for commuting but the velcro strap underneath is crap and the toe bit started curling up straight away.
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    bails87 wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    after all sheep have been using wool for a while and it seems to work for them.
    And seals have been using skin for a while too :wink:

don't try telling me they're not made from actual seals, we all know it's true!

seal004.jpg

Please dont let bails87 club me to keep his feet warm
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • These:

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/merinowoolcyclingsocks.htm

Without shadow of a doubt the best bit of mountain biking kit I ever bought. Comfortable, warm, quick drying and as an added bonus, your feet do not smell!
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Get some overshoes. I recommend PlanetX ones as they are just ace - Light, comfortable, crud resistant and easy to put on.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Endurance BaaBaa merino socks or Sealskinz.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013