New Ribble Sportive Racing

wayneabs
wayneabs Posts: 63
edited December 2011 in Your road bikes
Just received my new Ribble using a £1000 cycle to work voucher.

Went for the Ribble Sportive Racing and due to restrictions with the voucher opted for the new 10 Speed Tiagra groupset.

ITM tape, bars, stem and seatpost and a Selle Italia saddle.

Upgraded the wheels and tyres to some 50mm carbon clinchers with some schwalbe ultremo R.1 tyres

sportiveracing.jpg

Comments

• Nice set up, get it emailed through to them for the facebook page!
    P.S Have you changed the chainring bolts?
  • Yes took the chain bolts off my old bike to match the skewers, hubs.

I knew I would forget something cad!
  • Will look out for that riding around Ipswich

Send me a PM if you are interested in a ride sometime
  • where did you get the wheels from?
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.

--Ernest Hemingway
  • Picked them up off e-bay while they were doing a 10% off promotion.

With the discount they worked out at just over £300 which included delivery. I was able to specify the colour of the hubs and nipps as well as the finish of the wheel (3k, bright, matt etc). The seller was conhismotor - sounds a bit dodgy but they were very good, delivery in less than 10 days. They have an official website of the same name.

Haven't weighed them myself but their info puts them at 1550g for the pair - not the lighest but you can't argue with the price.
  • daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    Nice bike, sensible approach with the group set and you can always upgrade. The wheels sound like good value and look great.
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • I would have liked SRAM Rival but they wouldn't let me go over the voucher limit, still the Tiagra seems quite solid. The wheels are light and stiff - really good on the flats. Really looking forward to next year when the weather warms up and getting out on the road more.
  • Hey Wayneabs

Like the set-up. I also have a Ribble New Sportive and do have SRAM RIval. Like the link you gave for the wheels and wondered what your first impressions were? I'm seriously considering buying some from this company, as opposed to spending nearer double the amount closer to home!! I'm on Ksyrium Elites at the moment but also want a carbon set for flatter rides and wondering how aero and fast these wheels are>

Ande for anyone else whose listening, this company offer the wheels bought by OP in Shimano or Campagnolo so can anyone tell me whether a SRAM PG1050 10-speed cassette is compatible with Shimano hub?
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Hey Wayneabs

Like the set-up. I also have a Ribble New Sportive and do have SRAM RIval. Like the link you gave for the wheels and wondered what your first impressions were? I'm seriously considering buying some from this company, as opposed to spending nearer double the amount closer to home!! I'm on Ksyrium Elites at the moment but also want a carbon set for flatter rides and wondering how aero and fast these wheels are>

Ande for anyone else whose listening, this company offer the wheels bought by OP in Shimano or Campagnolo so can anyone tell me whether a SRAM PG1050 10-speed cassette is compatible with Shimano hub?

Sram and Shimano use same fitting so yes they are compatible.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Unfortunately because of work commitments I haven't had the time to really get out on the bike and put some miles in. However from the little time I have been out the wheels have been great, possible new bike syndrome but they feel faster, stiffer and they fly on the flats. Will probably struggle a little up hills but Suffolk is very flat so no problems there! I am comparing them to my last bike which was Specialized Allez ELite bike with much heavier wheels so slightly unfair.
    The front wheel did require some minor truing but that took 10 minutes to sort out.

For the price of £310 with delivery I don't think I can complain.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Nice looking frame. I'm thinking about buying one to replace my 7005 Ribble Winter Trainer. Let me know what the ride is like please.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I'm thinking about buying one to replace my 7005 Ribble Winter Trainer. Let me know what the ride is like please

I have both of these bikes.The Sportive is a lot more responsive, lighter and friskier than the blue 'un, no susrprise there though.
    Personally would NOT want deep section rims on a bike used for training or leisure as they would gain you no advantage other than extra ballast on climbs. Stick with normal rims, 30mm at most.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    sturmey wrote:
    I have both of these bikes.The Sportive is a lot more responsive, lighter and friskier than the blue 'un, no susrprise there though.
    Personally would NOT want deep section rims on a bike used for training or leisure as they would gain you no advantage other than extra ballast on climbs. Stick with normal rims, 30mm at most.

Agreed 100%. It's a training bike, so everything from the Ribble Winter Trainer would get swapped over to the Sportive Racing frame, with the exception of the Prolite Como wheels. Some Ksyrium Equipes in white would be light enough and complement the build without breaking the bank.
  • wayneabs wrote:
    I would have liked SRAM Rival but they wouldn't let me go over the voucher limit, still the Tiagra seems quite solid. The wheels are light and stiff - really good on the flats. Really looking forward to next year when the weather warms up and getting out on the road more.

Seems very strange that they wouldn't let you go over the voucher limit, can I ask what scheme you were using? I fully intend to use the £1000 of the Cycle 2 Work scheme towards a bike but will be puchasing a bike worth a fair bit more (roll on May).

Bike looks v nice by the way! :)
  • They asked if I worked in public or private sector (I work in public) and they said I could not go over the limit - presumably because of the checks my organisation would make, I am not sure.

The tiagra seems like a solid choice, but would have liked the SRAM. Maybe upgrade in a couple of years.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I worked for the Bbc at the time and they let me go over.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com