My bikes...Winter and 'Best'

daveb99
daveb99 Posts: 273
edited December 2011 in Your road bikes
After a 20 year break from cycling, I decided to get back into it a few months ago (turned 40 and thought a new bike would be a suitable present 8) ).

Not knowing how much I'd take to cycling again, or how flexible I was, I originally bought a Specialized Secteur Sport from my LBS for the more upright position, hence relaxed ride. Although a decent bike, after a few rides I realised I wanted something a little more racy / responsive (and also realised what used bargains are out there!). So, I found a buyer for it, didn't lose hardly anything on it - and picked up a lightly used 2010 Allez Elite at a very good price on the 'bay.

I soon got the bug....and have recently completed the build of a 'best' bike for next year (already ridden it though :mrgreen: ). Anyway, enough waffle, here are the bikes:

First up - the 2010 Specialized Allez Elite. This is now my winter bike. All standard (Tiagra 4500 groupset) except:

Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset, which I bought brand new, to upgrade from the Mavic CXP22s
Ultegra 6600 SL rear mech (big improvement on the Tiagra one)
Crud Roadracer 2's (essential winter kit!)
PX Saddle (more on that later)
Black bar tape (was white.....not good for a winter bike!)

AllezElite.jpg

My best bike, a Planet X SL Pro Carbon, is also the first bike I've ever built. I sourced most of the components second hand, and managed to find the frame, groupset and wheelset hardly used, and very well looked after indeed. I took my time with the build, got tonnes of tips, and I'm delighted with it - smooth, quiet, rattle free, and the ride on the carbon PX frame is definitely a major improvement on the Allez (which in itself is very good for an aluminium frame).

It has cost me just over a "bag of sand" to build, which I think is pretty reasonable given the spec I've put together. It weighs 7.55kg plus pedals, which I'm happy with as I'm still increasing my fitness so it's plenty light enough for me. I got a tad carried away with the whole lightness thing, and bought a used (but new) Selle Italia SLR Carbon saddle for it (so fitted the PX one to my Allez). Seems very comfortable so far given the minimal padding!

Full spec:

Frame: Planet X SL Pro Carbon (Medium)
Forks: Planet X SL Pro Carbon
Shifters: Shimano Ultegra ST-6700
Brake Calipers: Shimano Ultegra BR-6700
Front Mech: Shimano Ultegra FD-6700 (Braze on)
Rear Mech: Shimano Ultegra RD-6700
Chainset: Shimano Ultegra FC-6700 (39-53T 172.5mm cranks)
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 (11-28T)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra BB-6700
Chain: KMC X10SL
Wheelset: Easton EA50 SL
Tyres: Continental GP4000S
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Carbon
Seat post: Planet X
Pedals: Shimano A520
Bars: Planet X Strada
Stem: Easton EA30 105mm
Headset: FSA
Cables: Jagwire Racer
Bar Tape: Bontrager Gel Cork

Comments, advice, tips, most welcome!

PlanetXSLPro.jpg
2012 Scott CR1 SL
2013 Dolan Dual
2016 Boardman Pro 29er

Comments

• gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Great looking bikes. I can see the bike list getting bigger and bigger.
  • I actually really like the simplicity of that planet-x, well done on the build :)
    Give me a hill, then i shall enjoy the suffering!

"I love the mountains, but the moment of exertion fills me with deep hatred. So I try to shorten the suffering." -Marco Pantani
  • Good story and good bikes. The px looks particularly good. I want one of those frames but I simply have no use for one. Still want one though.
  • Nice bikes.

The PX colour scheme works very well too!
    Mens agitat molem
  • daveb99
    Thanks guys, now trying to resist the continual upgrade / tinkering process..........and failing!
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • daveb99
    I actually really like the simplicity of that planet-x, well done on the build :)

Thanks, I went for the white frame so it goes with pretty much anything else, i.e. clothing, components, wheels etc, in the same way that black does. I guess it's a little plain - but I like it that way!
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • daveb99
    Brommers76 wrote:
    Good story and good bikes. The px looks particularly good. I want one of those frames but I simply have no use for one. Still want one though.

Go on, you know it makes sense. I'm sure you could find the space for one! It's a great frame for the money.
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • daveb99
    I'll have to update the photos soon - I've just ordered some (minor) upgrades for the Allez :shock:
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • daveb99
    Since my first post I've upgraded both bikes slightly - nothing major:

Allez Elite - now has a Deda Zero 1 90mm stem to shorten the reach a little, and two Elite bottle cages
    Planet X SL Pro - changed the bars for Ritchey WCS Logic II, Stem is now a Ritchey WCS 4-axis 110mm, and Seat post changed to a Ritchey WCS 1-bolt.....all wet black finish :mrgreen:

Planet X now weighs 7.4kg plus pedals.

Will try to update the photos soon.
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Nice!

Not that I'm trying to encourage further upgrade-itis but if you ever felt inclined to relegate the PX to winter duties, I can inform you that the Crud-guards do fit. :D (...was a query on another thread.)

007-1.jpg
  • daveb99
    PhilPub wrote:
    Nice!

Not that I'm trying to encourage further upgrade-itis but if you ever felt inclined to relegate the PX to winter duties, I can inform you that the Crud-guards do fit. :D (...was a query on another thread.)

Thanks, I remember replying to that thread.....I think you must have more clearance than me on your PX frame, have about 3-4mm between my tyres and the frame, where the caliper is. Depends on the tyres I guess, I have Conti 4000S tyres on Easton EA50SL rims. Having said that, I still reckon you filed your frame to get more clearance :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quite happy with the Cruds on the Allez, keeping the PX for best bike duties.......but cheers for the tip.
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • daveb99
    A couple more changes to the Planet X SL Pro - I've fitted new forks, with a slightly longer steerer tube, lifting the bars by 17mm, and a Ritchey WCS Streem saddle (the Selle Italia is better than I need so it will be sold soon).

Updated spec:

Frame: Planet X SL Pro Carbon (Medium)
    Forks: Planet X SL Pro Carbon
    Shifters: Shimano Ultegra ST-6700
    Brake Calipers: Shimano Ultegra BR-6700
    Front Mech: Shimano Ultegra FD-6700 (Braze on)
    Rear Mech: Shimano Ultegra RD-6700
    Chainset: Shimano Ultegra FC-6700 (39-53T 172.5mm cranks)
    Cassette: Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 (11-28T)
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra BB-6700
    Chain: KMC X10SL
    Wheelset: Easton EA50 SL
    Tyres: Continental GP4000S
    Saddle: Ritchey WCS Streem
    Seat post: Ritchey WCS 1-bolt
    Bars: Ritchey WCS Logic II
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 110mm
    Headset: FSA
    Pedals: Shimano A520
    Cables: Jagwire Racer
    Bar Tape: Bontrager Gel Cork
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • What made you want to lift the bars?
    Nice looking bike, I really like it in white.
  • daveb99
    What made you want to lift the bars?
    Nice looking bike, I really like it in white.

Thanks, I wanted to lift the bars a little as it was a bit of a stretch (the bars were over 40mm lower than those on the Allez relative to the saddle). Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but it feels a lot better sitting on it.
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • Hi Dave,
    Read your post with interest and looking for some advice. I'm looking for a new road bike and will be test driving both the Allez and the Secteur this Friday at one of the Specialized concept stores.

Here's my quandary... For years I've had a Giant Mountain bike with 'slick' tyres for around town and am enjoying the road rides so much that I'm going to get my first road bike. Another reason for this is that I'm going to do the London to Brighton Night ride in 2012 so wanted something new for that (budget of about £800 - £900). I do however want to try some 'light' touring (not camping) in France/Spain for a few days etc so... do I go for something like a Secteur or Allez and just take a ruck sack or go for something more like a touring bike? I don't imagine I will be doing much touring, so wonder if the rucksack is the way forward.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers
    Ben