Spongy front brake -brand new XTR M985

giantAstax
giantAstax Posts: 55
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just finished building my new Giant Anthem X SL. Fantastic ride but no power from the front break. Rear is brilliant. Both levers similar feeling and system well bled. Rear really bites when slammed hard but the front is spongy and also screams as it begins to slow the wheel. Tried cleaning pads and rotor but as stated all is brand new anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Did you bed the pads in properly?
  • Did you bed the pads in properly?

I believe so. 20+ applications at walking pace, same at fast walk, and gradually increased until full power. As I said, rear is fine. Also, this is my 2nd build this year. No problems with brakes on my other bike.

I have some new sintered pads I could fit if I had to.
  • If it feels the same as the rear and its squeeling then my money is on contamination. Clean the disk with isopropyl alcohol and possibly change the pads?
  • If it feels the same as the rear and its squeeling then my money is on contamination. Clean the disk with isopropyl alcohol and possibly change the pads?

Was coming around to that myself though not sure how I contaminated the pads. I've no iso, so I guess Muc Off brake cleaner will be ok?

Can I remove and resurface the pads or is that a no go? Also squeal only happens at the very last as I get some bite.
  • Definitely contamination. New pads have bedded in and work brilliantly. Wonder how I screwed the original ones :?: