Consumable Bike Parts - B'ham to Paris

bails1310
bails1310 Posts: 361
edited November 2011 in Tour & expedition
Planning a charity ride next Spring / Summer.

Does anyone have any advise on what sorts of spares we would need to carry.

Bikes in question will be less than 1 year old at the point when we do it although they will have done a few training miles by then.

Do I really need to take 1 x everything that my give up the ghost? Alternatively how easy is it to get parts / repairs for things you dont decide to take when over there?

Final question, are there any documents that you need to be able to ride in France like insruance or anything country specific?

Many thanks.
Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A couple of spare tubes.
    More problems but still living....
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You shouldn't need anything beyond spare inner tubes - but it would be sensible to check chains, tyres etc for wear before you leave. Check that the wheel spokes are properly tensioned (or get a bike shop to do it). A Park tyre boot, a couple of SRAM links and some spare bolts might not be a bad idea.

In France there is a requirement to wear high-viz if you are riding at night or in poor visibility outside built-up areas.
  • spare brake cable, spare gear cable, spare brake pads are all small and light - but if you maintain your bike properly then you'll know they are OK before you go. Cable ties are useful for bodge repairs and don't take up much space. You'll be in well populated Northern Europe - there are bike shops everywhere, they can fix everything.
    I'd just take a few inner tubes and a decent pump which can get your tyres back to proper pressure.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'd add a couple of spare quick release chain links and any spare links you may have from shortening the chain.

Depending on if you're carrying your own gear or have back-up would dictate additional spares to me. Spare tyre, spokes etc if you have a back-up vehicle
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I agree with the above - a couple of spares, a patch kit, and a spare link for your chain. Check everything before you go, bring a multi-tool (with a chain tool that actually works) along with a couple of cable ties, to bodge things just in case, and you should be fine. Carrying a small bottle of chain lube can be handy smetimes, especially if you find yourself riding through the rain a lot or in chain-hostile conditions - nothing more irritating than a squeaky chain.