Formula R1 or The One or Shimano m988 trail brakes?

weeve
weeve Posts: 393
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
Anyone seen a comparison? Or used both? Would like some advice before forking out £800 ...need 2 sets for the lass and I. Sick of sore hands pumping the XTR's of 2 generations ago.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    weeve wrote:
    Anyone seen a comparison? Or used both? Would like some advice before forking out £800 ...need 2 sets for the lass and I. Sick of sore hands pumping the XTR's of 2 generations ago.

Your XTRs should still be fine...have they had a strip down and bleed ? would be more cost effective !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • weeve
    yeah lots of times. they are the old dual control and work fine - but did Transalp last year and the alpine descents left me with hand cramp and they overheated
  • Pudseyp
    edited November 2011
    weeve wrote:
    yeah lots of times. they are the old dual control and work fine - but did Transalp last year and the alpine descents left me with hand cramp and they overheated

If you need to brake continualy on such long decents then any brake might give you cramp...can you use the adjuster to bring the lever inwards a bit ? also larger rotors may help with the overheating..if you do want to change I cannot vouch for Formula's but I have the XTR on the Tomac and they are amazing....the pad fins help keep the caliper cool and mixed with ice tech rotors eliminates overheating and fade...the new XT 2012 are just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper !
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    If your brakes are over heating then go for some bigger rotor's, at least 180mm for the alpine runs.
  • weeve
    thanks. indeed xt's look good. but a weight weenie ultimate ht build for racing cant take the extra weight penalty :)
  • Pudseyp
    weeve wrote:
    thanks. indeed xt's look good. but a weight weenie ultimate ht build for racing cant take the extra weight penalty :)

Go for the XTR with integrated clamps !
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i havent tried XTRs, but i have tried XT and Formula and Formula win every day for me
  • DCR00 wrote:
    i havent tried XTRs, but i have tried XT and Formula and Formula win every day for me

same here- I've got R1 as rear and The One up front- both of them are bad bad boys. I have not had any probs with hand cramps since I put my previous Marta SLs away- nothing at all. The One is scary, a lot [at first]- I run both with 160mm rotors on my HT AND on my FS