P clips on oval tubing

SteK
SteK Posts: 148
edited November 2011 in Workshop
*Apologies for a double up from commuting workshop chat, I'm getting impatient and eager to order some clips!*

I'm making the move to panniers as with winter fast approaching the sheer weight I'm putting in my rucksack is really starting to cause my shoulders to feel like death!

I'm really keen on the Tortec Velocity rack but as I'm putting it onto my 'winter bike' (which is a previous 'summer bike') I'm lacking mounts. So I'm gonna get some P-clips.

The seat stay has a steady 16mm diameter at the bottom of the stay, so no sweat there - however, the top of the stay is elongated so measures 16mm wide but 21mm deep.

I'm not sure what size P-clip I should be putting on it? I'm suspecting if I get something which is the average of the two sizes (around 18-19mm) I should be able to manipulate the shape and make it fit snug - but thought I'd ask here to see what anyone else has done. Or perhaps there's somewhere that makes oval p-clips?

Thanks for reading!

Stephen K

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I used one of these seat clamps to get around that - really neat and it feels better to me than clamping around the tube.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19012
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • SteK
    Ah nice, neat little thing. That could be perfect.

Silly question now (as if the first one wasn't thick enough!) Does your rack sit high with it being clamped up there? I've never ran a rack before, I'm assuming that most come with adjustable arms at the top so you can angle them wherever you want - but I'm only going off the pics of the rack I'm gonna go for...
  • SteK
    If it's any help it's this rack I'm plumping for...

http://www.zyro.co.uk/brand/TORTEC/TORT ... 0RACK.aspx

They look adjustable up and down as well as back and forth to my eyes - but as I'm sure it's clear - I'm no expert ;)
  • k-dog
    That's actually the same rack I used and it worked well. It's really adjustable and the only thing stopping getting the rack perfect was the thickness of the stays fouling the rack - it has to be sloping back a bit. The top mounts were fine it was the lower ones where the problems were.

That was a 58cm frame if that matters. I'd take a picture but it's my
    Dad's bike and I won't be there for at least a few days.
  • SteK
    Ah brilliant, I'll get one ordered tonight then. Thanks for the heads up on that, I didn't realise they existed. The wonderful vast universe of rack mounts eh? Can't see a slight tilt back being a problem at all really.

Thanks again :)
  • k-dog
    I know it's been ages but I took a pic if anyone's interested.

14d3e42.jpg

2150fbl.jpg
  • SteK
    Looks nice and neat. Thanks for that. I happened upon some p clips that I experimented with a bit and they seems to be holding up quite well, I'm quite paranoid about them though, every time I hit a bump I'm checking the rack! I think I might well end up with one of these...