Paul Kimmage let go by Sunday Times

thomasmc
thomasmc Posts: 814
edited November 2011 in Pro race
For cost cutting reasons along with Ian Hawkey!

Very sorry to hear that as he is a cracking journalist, hope he gets another broadsheet to continue his writing

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Yes, a big loss to the Times sports pages.

I'm hoping for his latest book, Engage, for Christmas.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    That paywall can't be working out so well for them.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    That or the profitable NOTW going under... Phone hacking scandals (and fees for PIs for all those involved) don't come cheap.
  • Oh well, at least I don't have to wrestle with my principles any more. Only bought the ST for a Kimmage interview. Last one I read was Thom Evans, another great interview. Now I won't have to give Murdoch any of my money.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Very sorry to hear that, I like Kimmage. Hopefully he'll be snapped up by another (quality) paper. Or be able to make enough as a freelancer.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    Coming soon: Rough Read by Paul Kimmage.

One journalist's story of how he tried to make it as a journalist in the big bad world of News International but everyone was phone hacking and there was a code of silence to stop the public knowing. He tells how he succumbed to hacking himself before leaving the trade disillusioned. (Forword by Tom Watson)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher wrote:
    Very sorry to hear that, I like Kimmage. Hopefully he'll be snapped up by another (quality) paper. Or be able to make enough as a freelancer.
    Or maybe as a freeContadorer :roll:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    RichN95 wrote:

One journalist's story of how he tried to make it as a journalist in the big bad world of News International but everyone was phone hacking and there was a code of silence to stop the public knowing. He tells how he succumbed to hacking himself before leaving the trade disillusioned. (Forword by Tom Watson)

:lol:
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

*sighs* It's a sad place where there are actually are some conspiracies.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163

I do jokes, not conspiracies.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

I do jokes, not conspiracies.

It was a good joke.
  • One less gobsh!te given a platform ... Hopefully in a few months he'll get the boot from Tesco's for stealing the £1 coins from the trolleys ...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    One less gobsh!te given a platform ... Hopefully in a few months he'll get the boot from Tesco's for stealing the £1 coins from the trolleys ...

Have you read anything he's written?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    One less gobsh!te given a platform ... Hopefully in a few months he'll get the boot from Tesco's for stealing the £1 coins from the trolleys ...

Probably not.

Or didn't like (or maybe understand) what he was trying to say. Which in forumspeak means you should slag them off for no good reason. It still surprises me how much time and energy some people can put into being uninformative, useless and negative on the internet.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • rick_chasey
    Simon E wrote:

Probably not.

Or didn't like (or maybe understand) what he was trying to say. Which in forumspeak means you should slag them off for no good reason. It still surprises me how much time and energy some people can put into being uninformative, useless and negative on the internet.

Better here than in the real world.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Simon E wrote:

Probably not.

Better here than in the real world.

I suspect most of them multi-task.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Not a fan of his journalism (did like Rough Ride) so from that perspective it doesn't bother me - but wouldn't want to celebrate someone losing their job.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Don't Ask.
    I've never read a bloody word, except perhaps in a forum quote.
    He has to earn a crust somehow, and now he may have to get a real job. :shock:

Did the World stop still because of him or is it still turning. (now that would be something if the Sun didn't turn up one morning to give us daylight)

Journalists, Politicians or TV adverts.
    I don't believe any of them.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Simon E wrote:

Probably not.

Or didn't like (or maybe understand) what he was trying to say.
    Which in forumspeak means you should slag them off for no good reason. It still surprises me how much time and energy some people can put into being uninformative, useless and negative on the internet.

It still suprises me how much time and energy some people can put into accusing others of being uninformative useless and negative on the internet. I have read a lot of his articles and to me he was often controversial purely for the sake of being controversial. Not a fan of his writing style at all and he is far far removed from true quality jourmalists like Hugh McIlvanney or Patrick Collins.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rough ride reminded me of "bouncing back" by Alan Partridge.

During another chapter of despair and bitterness you can almost hear him saying...suffice to say I had the last laugh
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I have read a lot of his articles and to me he was often controversial purely for the sake of being controversial. Not a fan of his writing style at all and he is far far removed from true quality jourmalists like Hugh McIlvanney or Patrick Collins.
    He has his detractors but some of the work he has done - particularly outside pro cycling - appears to be insightful. I don't think he's being controversial for its own sake but he certainly won't shy away from tough topics and provocative questioning. Perhaps some would prefer a more fawning approach to interviews. A CW interview from 2007.

I'm not suggesting Kimmage is the world's greatest sports journalist, but the Guardian describes him as "well regarded" and "a notable interviewer", he won the SJA’s Sports Interviewer of the Year award 5 times and his biography of Matt Hampson is in the running for the sports book of the year. There's nothing wrong with criticism but to dismiss his work as "gobshite" is both inappropriate and pathetic.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I don't think gobshite is that far off the mark. Moray says it up better when he says that Kimmage is often controversial for the sake of it but gobshite isn't bad as a one word summary. To me Kimmage reads like a 6th form wannabe journo who thinks he's a better writer than he really is - but each to their own.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I always read his work.

Rough Ride was a bit of an eye opener. He should be applauded for breaking the silence in such a way. I'm sure he'll find other work.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    I think you re right, I don't care what paper he wites for, I only read them online anyway!

If the Times cancel the Bugle podcast though I ll be up in arms!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Thats a real shame tbh. Rough Ride was an eye opener - but somehow I keep thinking he's focused too much on LA. If anything Rough Ride showed, that if you wanted, you could tar Hinault, Indurain etc etc with the same brush.
    Now if only someone could ask some seriously awkward questions of Athletics & Football - oh wait, that would've been Paul Kimmage!