Which carbon hardtail? Decisions! Decisions!

pingu66
pingu66 Posts: 29
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
I have been riding on and off for a few years now and really started to get back in to it. Anyway the lovely girlfreind suggested I get a new bike, currently running a Kona Dawg Delux 2008, slow bouncer. The conversation included her mentioning carbon so I guess I am really lucky!

Im a bigger guy and looking to loose 20lbs to get down to around 200lbs (14.5st) 6ft and 45 years young!

Anyway I think I have narrowed it down to the following.

Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29
Like Formula brakes and SID fork, 2x10 rather than 3x10 (double rather thab triple front chain ring, apologies I am not realy up on the components yet)
May swap front derailieur and shifters. Wheels and tyres OK for now.

Whyte 29er CS
Dont like Avid brakes heard they are not great!

XtC Composite 29'er 0
Not looke at the Fox forks enough so not sure?

Scott Scale 29 Pro
Dont like SRAM and Shimano mixed derailieurs?
Read bad things about the frame?
Avid brakes

Trek Superfly Elite??
XT all round sounds good!

Personally I am leaning heavily to the Specialized!

Major issues are I cannot seem to find any to test

What about longer cranks 175mm as I am 6ft and 180mm front disc as I am not that small and light? Also want to add braided steel brake cables?

Budget is not a huge issue but I have to be sensible si I have set a limit of £3k, as a I saw a niner for £3k but would swap most of the components! Harsh I know. What I am really after is a quick agile light hardtail that wont kill my back! Been riding full susser for a few years now so a little worried that it will get sore till I get used to it, Will mainly be doing 20-40 mile 2-3 hour rides wherever it takes me and for fitness.

Anyway I was in the LBS and nearly went completely off radar as some of the full sussers look really mean! Maybe the loved one will let me swap my Kona next year?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    On one? The whippet, or for heavier use, the 456 Carbon, for £3k you'd get a hell of a build!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you just looking at 29ers?
  • Yeah only really interested in a 29er, my Kona is great never let me down but its time to move on.

Also could consider my own build but thats a little stretch.
  • supersonic
    Interesting: 29ers at the minute seem to be quite a bit more expensive!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    supersonic wrote:
    Interesting: 29ers at the minute seem to be quite a bit more expensive!

And a bit of a fad....mind you the soda stream is making a come back
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    the scott scale carbon is mental money but awesome, the On-One is great value but lacks the big name, the Speciaized will do the job and look the same as everyone elses but its ok, the Giant is very good but dull, My money would be on the superfly (bearing in mind Gary Fisher is the guy who pionered 29ers) or the Niner, the niner you wouldnt need to ride you could just look at it as its that pretty!
    supersonic they are hiking the prices up of all the "in" stuff, half if not more people talking about buying a new bike (not just in here) are talking about 29ers? no reason for it to be more expensive other than its "in" :roll:

pudsey I know you cant see the point of them, but you dont do XC type stuff do you?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    There are still MUCH more 26ers about - economies of scale will mean that the 26er only parts will be cheaper. I'd say the majority of posts on these boards are about 26ers.

Just the way it is at the minute. I ride XC stuff, but not yet found one that does it better than what I have. Testing is the key really.
  • Yeah I agree testing is the key but just finding a bike to test is an issue as the stores I have tried seem to be holding out a little on stocking levels. It should be better early next year.

The price is the price I am afraid, yeah I would love to get something that I really wanted for a lot less but thats the way it goes. I can fall over 26ers all over the place alas that is NOT what I am after so will not be buying one.

Pudsey maybe you need to re read the forum rules! Not constructive!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I really wanted a GF rumblefish, but I couldn't test one, so I ended up building one and it does the job for about a £1500 less than I was willing to spend.
    post up to see if anyone has one on here you could test?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty