Winter Clothing

2»

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    cougie wrote:
    You must run hot then thegibdog - I'm in my winter jacket and thermal longs most of the winter, and always wear at least a baselayer and a jersey as well.
    I'm not sure whether I run hot or not but I was really implying that it's layering up that's important. You can achieve various levels of warmth by combining different baselayers (short sleeve/long sleeve, thermal/windstopper) and long/short sleeve jerseys which will enable you to be comfortable at different temperatures. Also using shorts combined with knee or leg warmers gives you versatility if the day warms up at all; if it's not really going to get much above freezing then I'll dig out the thermal longs out.
  • I bought a rain jacket from Decathlon for a tenner, it fits in my rear jersey pocket and I only really use it when the weather turns really nasty. It is cut for cyclying but is a bit billowy, keeps the water out though. I think some of the prices for glorified kagools is laughable really.
  • Acouple of years ago I bought an Aldi softshell jacket. Good for the price but the arms were a touch too short, it ended up at the back of the wardrobe and not worn. Persuaded Mrs SG (nifty with needle & thread) to remove the sleeves and turn it into a Gilet! Very useful.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • anyone got a recommendation for a good (preferably cheap) winter base layer?
  • IIRC there was a recommendation, last year, that Primark had a l/s vest with thumb holes for sale. You did say 'cheap' .
    The older I get the faster I was
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    TrickyGB wrote:
    anyone got a recommendation for a good (preferably cheap) winter base layer?

Campri Thermal Base Layer Top Mens from sports direct.
    they work for me
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • cwm wrote:
    TrickyGB wrote:
    anyone got a recommendation for a good (preferably cheap) winter base layer?

they work for me
    Aree with op & at under £10 on
    Line can't fault them, so impressed with value for mOney bought another Plus one for sons football training, also buying more serious baselayer for when it gets really cold though just in case
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My winter baselayer is a simple T shirt from chocholatefish, probably the best quality merino you can get.
    I used the windproof+ a waterproof jacket combo for several years and it works OK. Any membrane waterproof is too clammy for use in the dry. When the temp dips to a comfortable level I use a Paramo jacket which is windproof, waterproof, warm without any clammyness or condensation.
    These 2 items dont come cheap but are very durable and last for many years.
  • cwm wrote:
    they work for me

I'll +1 these as well. Total bargain. I use mine as a mid between base layer and windproof when the temp really drops.
  • many thanks, i'll give them a go