which of these 3 hardtails?

kalioon
kalioon Posts: 59
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

My work is starting a ride 2 work scheme with Evans, and i need a new bike, It’s mainly for a commute on tarmac and paths, but I plan to start trail riding and heading out into the great outdoors. My currant 4 (possibly older) year old Claude Butler, really isn’t up to that task, its barley managing being ridden everyday for 10 miles!

I’ve narrowed my search for a new bike down to these three:

Trek 4900 d 2012

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/4900-d-2012-mountain-bike-ec030269

Specialized Rockhopper 2011

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/rockhopper-2011-mountain-bike-ec024978

Pinnacle Iroko one 2011 (this was based on a suggestion from supersonic, and as I learn more about spec its looking like a good idea)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/iroko-one-mountain-bike-ec027476

I’m really tempted by the Iroko, the forks look great, but the no name frame worries me. Is that an issue? The spesh is a big name, and I know the Rockhopper is well thought of. And I kind of like the look of the trek, again the spec seems decent.

So which is the best and if you don’t mind the extra writing, can you tell me why?

Is there anything i should consider on the Evans website? I don’t want to go above £650, as I have designs on a jacket, stand and some tools.

Cheers in advance

edited for spelling, spaces and grammar.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pinnacle
    And a spellcheck with some of the remainder?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Why does the frame worry you ??? just because it's not a Specialized or Trek doesn't mean its crap !! near all frames are made in the likes of China and near all in the same factories so you will get Pinnacle frames being made next to the big boys, they all have to pass rigarous CE/EN certifiction so you have nothing to worry about....with the other too your paying for the name similar to paying £70 for Hugo Boss TShirt that is made for pennies in an indian sweatshop next to Tshirts sold on the market for a fiver....

So in the main you get a better spec of bike for less...the frame thing is bolllox
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pinnacle is Evans in house brand (like Halfords have Carrera), excellent value for money in line with most in house brands. A huge percentage of frames these days are mde by Merida in Taiwan and branded for the relevant 'manufacturer' I don't know but suspect the Pinnacle is Merida, the same as the Spesh is (and Carrera's, Claud Butler etc etc)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Pudseyp wrote:
    So in the main you get a better spec of bike for less...the frame thing is bolllox

what he said, although if you want a frame of a specific design, but then you are looking at £1000+

the pinnacle is owned by a guy here and he gets out with us a fair bit and doesnt struggle much with trail centre stuff, not been with him to the more rooty sections and natural trails though.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    cooldad wrote:
    Pinnacle

Or a new space bar....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Pinnacle

Or a new space bar....

Point taken. Edited 1st post.

Anyhoo.

The only reason I was worried about the frame, was that I'd heard you should buy as good a frame as possible, so you can upgrade the bits and bobs.

Thanks for the responces. Pinnacle it is then. I'll give it a wee test cycle and see if it fits.

Thanks again
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would have said Pinnacle ;-)

You just don't see bad frames nowadays. See plenty of bad forks though.