Which hard tail frame

airbusboy
airbusboy Posts: 231
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hey all,

I've got a set of Fox RLC 100 forks and i'm hoping to build a 'playful' hard tail which is both suitable for POSSIBLY racing (not too seriously) but mainly blasting around the Surrey Downs (leith hill, peaslake) and cannock chase so nothing too knarly. I do enjoy getting airborne and bombing down rough descents but i'm fairly smooth and only weigh 68kgs so not going to punish the stead too much. The problem is which frame to go for?? Cotic, Pipedream, Engima, etc etc etc Price wise i'm not too fussed... if convinced i'm willing to spend a reasonable wedge money. Any advice is appreciated......

ATB

AB

ps... any suitable short travel FS frames out there?
'Ride hard for those who can't.....'

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it a F100 fork? Might not be the fork for the riding you suggest.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Not an ideal fork, but since you're light and smooth you should be fine. I'd go for a Cotic Soul. Light, strong, comfy, great geometry. Pretty much perfect.
  • Yeah 100mm..... I'm quite comfortable on a shorter travel fork..... it's just finding a frame to match my needs/setup etc....

Too much suspension makes it easy ;-)
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I would have a Rock Lobster...£199 from Merlin

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... me_694.htm
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cotic I hear is good.

Or, On-One Carbon Whippet?

Built a C456 myself. Slacker bike though with big travel. The full build isn't as light as I thought, mainly because the components are heavy though (frame itself is 1.5kg). Was thinking it could be good for some gnarl round Swinley and maybe Surrey Hills (though the big bike is still preferred for that), and some light XC, local trails etc. Bit more work than I expected, but maybe I'm just too used to the bouncy sofa bike :D. Have yet to try it on more XC style stuff though, but as I say it is fairly slack. A Whippet would have been better if I wanted just purely an XC bike. This is more just a toy for various things really.
  • Pudseyp
    The Rock Lobster is Easton tubing and weighs only 200g more than the Carbon Whippet and 600g less than the Cotic....not to mention £300 cheaper
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    edited November 2011
    Yes but
    Price wise i'm not too fussed... if convinced i'm willing to spend a reasonable wedge money. Any advice is appreciated......

So they may aswell buy summat decent
  • Pudseyp
    Well ring them and say you don't want it discounted and pay the full £400....or you could get the Titanium for £650

Kinesis ?

If really flush a Van Nicholas