Follow the dog. Cannock Chase.

nick_j007
nick_j007 Posts: 8
edited November 2011 in Routes
A quick question please folks. Does anyone happen to know if I can in fact take a dog with me on this route? I have an obedient Vizsla that I love to take cycling with me. He loves it too ;)

Not been to this trail before so sorry if it's a stupid question. Just will help with my last minute planning tonight.

Cheers.

Nick

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless it's a joke, it's a stupid question. Dogs, bikes and trails don't mix.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Unless it's a joke, it's a stupid question. Dogs, bikes and trails don't mix.[/quote}

Agreed, whatever that other thread says you're on a mountainbike trail, which was constructed for people riding bikes to do so. It's also rather tricky to negotiate and slippery so if you feel the added distraction of keeping an eye on your dog is still fine, then good luck
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    You won't be the first. Of the few times i've been there, seen quite a few people with their dogs in tow - well usually leading the way.
    I know there's the haters, but of all the times i've witnessed people on bikes with dogs on trails (various, not just cannock), they've never affected me. As long as they're well behaved and don't crap on the trails / bother others etc...

That said, i'm a dog owner and mine loves to come for a run while i'm on the bike, but i'd never take her to a trail centre, the canal is where we go.
  • That told me then ;)

I've not ridden a trail like this before, usually hack about my local woods and forested areas with no problem, but I can appreciate the difference if it's an organised bike trail.

I'm a dog behaviourist/trainer so he's really good and he is bang next to me I assure you :)

Still. I appreciate your input and will leave him at home tomorrow.

Thanks,

Nick
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ^^ a responsible dog owner :shock: we should keep him :)

I salute you sir!
  • I've seen quite a few dogs at Cannock and they are well trained, clearly love it & have never been a problem to me.
    I wouldn't consider it at a weekend though.
  • Dogs are allowed - the trail is named 'Follow the Dog' because the original trailbuilders used to go riding with their long legged Jack Russell, Zak. Obviously as long as your dog is well trained (keeps its distance from other riders, doesn't go flying off because it's seen a critter/another dog) and doesn't poop on the trail itself, it's not a problem. I love seeing well-trained dogs on the trails. :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Obviously as long as your dog is well trained (keeps its distance from other riders, doesn't go flying off because it's seen a critter/another dog) and doesn't poop on the trail itself, it's not a problem. I love seeing well-trained dogs on the trails. :D
    +1 to that, seen plenty of dogs on the Dog, never had a problem with them.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."