BBC Coverage of Track Cycling - has it ended?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited November 2011 in Track
Hello all,

over the last few years, I have watched a lot of Track Cycling, ie the World Championships in Spring, and a fair few other meets on the BBC - usually on the red button/301, but that is more than fine by me.

This year however, they seem to showing absolutely nothing - is this because they have lost or not bid for the rights to show it?

Gutted if that is the case :-(
As there is not a lot else on the BBC that I do watch, certainly no soap operas or dance/singing cheap tv shows.

If it has gone from the BBC, does anyone know if that is a long term thing, and where I would need to go to see the track cycling I know and love?

Many thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    The BBC only tends to show the World Champs and the UK round of the World Cup.

This years World Champs from Apeldoorn were shown in March on Red Button and BBC2.

The next (obvious) events for the BBC are the London round of the World Cup in Feb and the World Champs in Melbourne in April.

Your only other option is Eurosport. However, having shown all of the European Track Champs last month, all we had was a highlights programme for the Astana round of the World Cup last week.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Thanks Eddy,

must be my rose tinted specs that made it seem like more events in that case.....

Yes I did see the Apeldoorn WC event in the spring, so hopefully that will still be seen this year - shame they do not show the other events on the calendar, especially with the olympics coming up, you would think they would want to create as much interest as they can, but the only way I can find out is by reading a report on the BBC website about it.

Ah ok, so they always show the UK round and the the worls champs then?

Thanks for the tip re February, I will keep an eye out.

Thankyou for that Colin re the revolution - I would have missed that for sure I feel, I will set the humax tonight - only highlights, but has to be better than nout!

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18