ben nevis

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited December 2011 in The hub
not bike related but i was just wondering, do you need a guide to walk ben nevis or is it a pretty easy path to follow? nice one :D

Comments

• Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    The easy way (the one done by 99.99% people) is very very easy.

The fastest runners go up and down in 1h30min, most people would need 3-4hr to get to the top, 2hr to get down.
  • welshkev
    Pep wrote:
    The easy way (the one done by 99.99% people) is very very easy.

The fastest runners go up and down in 1h30min, most people would need 3-4hr to get to the top, 2hr to get down.

thanks mate, yeah i reckon i'd be one of the slow ones :lol:
  • When are you looking to do it .?
    One Life Live It!
    p.turner77@btinternet.com
  • welshkev
    pauldisco wrote:
    When are you looking to do it .?

next summer, probably august time
  • I've done it a few times and would agree that the route finding is easy if you follow the tourist path and its a clear day, (just follow the cairns after the soul destroying zig zags), but, and its a BIG but, if the weather is bad on the top its easy to lose your bearings and there are some HUGE drops off the north face that you don't want to stray too close to.
    Boardman Team Hard Tail
    Specialized Allez
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some people would need a guide... Last year a group of tourists climbed up Cow Hill instead and were surprised by how easy the Ben was, but also confused that the other mountains seemed bigger.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I found Scarfell Pike to be the hardest of the 3 peaks by quite a bit, Nevis and Snowdon are easy strolls if the weather is good.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • I have to disagree - Snowden was by far the easiest, then Scafell. I found the Ben the hardest but it was my first ever mountain walk so was way out of my comfort zone as a middle aged fat bloke. Done it since in deep snow above the zig zags. Still thought it was the hardest though.
    Boardman Team Hard Tail
    Specialized Allez
  • Plod
    Plod Posts: 42
    People die on The Ben. There is no need for a guide but you must take a map and compass and have the ability to use them. If visibility closes in at the top you may well need a bearing to find the top of the zig zags and the way down or else you could fall down 5 finger gully. The harveys map is very good.

Don't mean to be condescending - don't know your level. I've heard it said that if The Ben was 200m higher it would have snow on top all year round. Hope you enjoy it.
  • welshkev
    i used to do a lot of walking when i was younger but not so much now as i go out on the bike instead. bearing in mind i got a little bit lost on snowdon in the fog (i didn't have a map or compass cos i was assured i couldn't miss the trail) i think either a guide or a good training course from my dad on how to read a map again is in order :lol:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I have done a fair amount of hill walking, like others have said the Ben Nevis trail is easy to follow. It's a good point about a white out though, once on Waun Fach I was caught out in one and couldn't even see my feet. I was very thankful I had a mobile phone/gps with an app called "Trekbuddy" on my phone, highly recommended.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    I do the nevis walk/climb once a year.
    Takes 4 to 4 1/2 hours top to bottom, longer if there is a view from the top, it is usually a wall of grey.
    It is a decent long walk and a lot of people give up as it is too tough for them.
    I would get some hill walking pratice before the climb, it makes it more enjoyable.
    Wales hill is a breeze compared to Ben Nevis.
    Visit the whole Glen Nevis road and path network as well.
    Ben Nevis guest house is nice.
  • welshkev
    yeah, i'm doing the welsh 3 peaks challenge in june next year: snowdon, cadair idris and pen y fan in a day.

i'll need to get in some practice for that :shock:
  • Did it in July, 4 1/2 Hours up and back down, bloody cold at the top and fogged in as usual but an utterly wortwhile experience!! Beautiful part of the world and easily do-able for most I would say!!

Good Luck and Enjoy it!!
  • Welsh kev the ben is fairly straightforward to follow. Just stay to the path and enjoy it.
    You get up to the zig zags then over the cairn field then onto the summit. Just before the summit be careful not to stray left as your on the edge. There will be plenty of others on the path with you. It gets very busy at times.
    Someone said about the runners earlier. We go the direct route from the red bairn. I was 9th in the ben nevis race this year in 1 hr 41 mins. Expect about 4 hrs if your fairly fit.
    Have a good un
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I found Scarfell Pike to be the hardest of the 3 peaks by quite a bit, Nevis and Snowdon are easy strolls if the weather is good.
    Pike from Wasdale: 8km round trip, 900m ascent
    Ben from Glen Nevis: 15km round trip, 1320m ascent
    :?

@Welsh Kev, here's on other thing - if you're a fit cyclist but don't do much running or at least serious mountain walking, you'll breeze uphill but suffer agonies in your quads on the way down! The 4 1/2 hour times mentioned imply a reasonable degree of fitness, I've had groups take over 8.

And a big +1 to the need for map, compass and at least some navigational skills
  • welshkev
    cheers for all the replies guys. like i said i will have done a bit more hill walking because i'm preparing for the welsh 3 peaks challenge. but yeah, i'm gonna draft my dad in for some map reading lessons :-)
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I was in the area at the start of June this year and had intended to walk up Ben Nevis. I was monitoring the weather forecasts every day and they were horrendous so I decided not to risk it. I didn't like the sound of blizzard conditions, hail, sub-zero temperatures and winds gusting to 60 mph!

The day after I had planned to go up there, a young French lad died trying to walk to the summit. Tragic, and a strong warning not to underestimate what difficulties you could get into if you are not properly prepared.
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    I know you're not talking about biking Nevis, but a group of my mates did it this summer....and one of them wrote about it Mountain Bike Ben Nevis
    Thought some of you might be interested
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    You'll be fine. Wear good boots, carry a map, compass and a gps if you have one. Be prepared. Have fun!
    Many happy trails!
  • foxc_uk wrote:
    I know you're not talking about biking Nevis, but a group of my mates did it this summer....and one of them wrote about it Mountain Bike Ben Nevis
    Nice, thanks for sharing...

Hopefully doing Snowdon March/April in 2012 so was a good read.
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    foxc_uk wrote:

They've done that too! ;)Bike up Snowdon
  • foxc_uk wrote:
    foxc_uk wrote:

They've done that too! ;)Bike up Snowdon

Nice, I did have a search for their Snowdon trip but it took over 5 clicks so I gave up :lol:

Taa!