On One Carbon 456 - FINISHED!

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 531
edited November 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Hi all

I started getting bored last month having up-graded pretty much everything I could on my Whyte. To fend of that boredom and to scratch the carbon itch, I got myself an On One Carbon 456.

DSCN2057.jpg

The plan is to transfer all the bit from the Whyte over to this. I was going to use the Recon forks too but then thought why not get some new ones? So these were ordered and gratefully recieved!

DSCN2058.jpg

Some spangly new DT Swiss XMM 140's with 15mm QR. I know they're not Revelations and they're expensive but I got a good deal and I had a number done on me a few months back by a very good salesman at Bike Art in Thetford.

I'm having the headset and BB sorted in the next couple of days so hopefully will be able to start transfering bits over very soon.

More pictures will follow :D

Comments

• looks very promising :D
  • hectic30
    hectic30 Posts: 15
    I have the same bike the whyte 901, and my mate has this exact frame. He loves his frame, but thinks the 901 is more controllable. Be good to see what it's like with all the 901 components on it.

Good luck dude!
  • wilkij1975
    It will be interesting tto see how it compares to the 901. I have to say that the 901 is the best i've owned. I was going to up-grade the forks on the 901 with some XMM 120's but decided to copy my brother and get the 456. He loves his and I have to say I was really impressed with it when I first saw it.

Keep the up-grading going on the 901 though. It does make the difference.
  • Jambo456
    Jambo456 Posts: 12
    That will be a really nice build.

As Hectic30 said I love my 456, I use to think his 901 had more control but since finishing my 456 with all the new parts and getting out on some trails I have to say the 456 is now as controllable if not more so.

The 901 is great for trick's and is a great bike, you can get straight on it and the setup makes you feel very confidnent, with a 456 you have to go through a bit of trial and error before you get the custom fit, but once you do it will probably be one of the best hard tail bikes you can own.

Look foward to seeing it built up.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game!!!!
  • wilkij1975
    Just a quick update. Managed to get the headset and BB fitted at the weekend and have just this evening put most of the stuff across from the Whyte. None of the stuff is tightened down properly and no I won't be riding with the seat at that angle 8)

Just the mechs and cables to put on and then the final set up. I have to say though, I got a bit worried when I tightened the seat collar and heard the carbon creak. I suppose its something i'll have to get used to.

Anyway, here are a few pics:

DSCN2060.jpg

DSCN2061.jpg

More to follow soon I hope!
  • looking good
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • wilkij1975
    Right then. Got the bike back from the shop after having the finishing touches done. The cables, IMO, are too long so will have to sort them soon but will ride it for now. Just done a quick run to work and back so far and it feels good. The forks will take some setting up and getting used to but i'll get there.

Some pics:

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2063.jpg

DSCN2064.jpg

DSCN2065.jpg

DSCN2066.jpg

DSCN2067.jpg

DSCN2068.jpg

DSCN2069.jpg

I'll get the spec. up in another post as my computer is playing up.
  • wilkij1975
    Here's the spec.

Frame: On One 456 Carbon 20 Inch
    Forks: DT Swiss XMM 140 Twins Shot 15mm
    Bars: Easton Haven Alu
    Stem: Truvativ Stylo Team
    Headset: On One Smoothie Mixer
    Grips: Whyte Lock Ons

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Front Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Front disc: Avid 185mm
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Disc: Avid 160mm

Shifters: Deore XT
    Cables: XTR
    Front Mech: SLX
    Rear Mech: Deore XT Shadow

Seat: SDG Bel Air
    Seat Post: On One Twelfty
    Seat Post Clamp: KCNC Bolted

Cranks: Deore XT
    Chain: Sram PG950
    Cassette: Sram 11 - 34
    Pedals: Welgo V12 Copy
    Bottom Bracket: Deore XT

Front Wheel:
    Rim: Mavic XM719
    Spokes: DT Swiss Double Butted
    Hub: Hope Pro 2 Red
    Tube: No Idea
    Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1

Back Wheel:
    Rim: Mavic XM719
    Spokes: DT Swiss Double Butted
    Hub: Hope Pro 2 Red
    Tube: Who knows
    Tire: Specialized Fast Trak LK Armadillo

Weight: 12Kg including pedals (weighed on industrial scales at work so may not be too accurate as they weigh to the nearest half kilo)
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Love it, though you need to get rid of the reflectors off the pedals, even more weight saved!
  • Just a quick up-date for you all. I have just changed the brakes to some new Deore XT items. Only ridden them for about 30 minutes but feel every bit as good as the reviews I read said. Matched them to some Superstar rotors, 180mm front and 160mm rear. Might get some Ice Tech rotors when I get the money. I've also put a Nobby Nic on the back too as the old Specialized one was getting pretty worn out. Here's a few pics.

DSCN2156.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

DSCN2157.jpg

DSCN2158.jpg
  • Ref: the carbon creaking! Go and buy yourself some carbon grease its fully recomended by most pro's and LBS and rub it over the seat post especially on the clampin area and it will stop the creaking instantly, the best one i have seen is made by finish line and called "Fibre Grip"
  • beautiful looking machine. i keep looking at the frames on the on-one website.

i just cant bring myself to do it, cuz i dont really need it. but seeing them all built up its sooo tempting. damn you man!

if i did buy one id defo run a single ring up front with a chainguide. was that something you thought of or do you need the use of lots of chainrings.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Ref: the carbon creaking! Go and buy yourself some carbon grease its fully recomended by most pro's and LBS and rub it over the seat post especially on the clampin area and it will stop the creaking instantly, the best one i have seen is made by finish line and called "Fibre Grip"

I only heard the creaking when I tightened the seat clamp for the first time not when I was riding or anything like that.
  • sanchez89 wrote:
    beautiful looking machine. i keep looking at the frames on the on-one website.

i just cant bring myself to do it, cuz i dont really need it. but seeing them all built up its sooo tempting. damn you man!

if i did buy one id defo run a single ring up front with a chainguide. was that something you thought of or do you need the use of lots of chainrings.

I was thinking of doing that over the winter. I hardly use the granny ring being in Suffolk but i'm moving to Northamptonshire soon so will see how hilling it is over there before taking the plunge. My brother runs a 1 x 10 set up on his with a Superstar 1x type chain guide and loves it.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Stunning machine! I can't get my head around that fork - looks like its on backwards to me (although it isn't).