Edit Button

triquin
triquin Posts: 30
Hi
It may be just me having a senior moment but I can't seem to find the Edit Button on my post?

viewtopic.php?f=40048&t=12809626

Although the button was on this post??

Pete

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It has been removed from the classifieds section, but thought was just sales. Will look into it.
  • louse
    louse Posts: 80
    i think it was a global change.
  • louse
    or was it when things had had a reply?
  • louse
    it is not global.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    You can now edit in the 'wanted' sections.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • This is a bit of a pain actually.

I'm in the middle of upgrading 4 bikes and am hence buying and selling a lot of gear in stages. To be able to edit the ad for more than just the first day would be a massive bonus.

We are not allowed to post stuff already for sale within a week which I agree with, but that was only any good when we could edit the post to include parts as they become available for sale and edit out the parts already sold. If the Mods are going to delete ads for reposting too soon, we need the edit button to be a permanant fixture of the classifieds surely?

I've just spent half an hour answering emails from people asking about gear that went last week and can't put up a new ad to include the parts I've just changed for another few days yet and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's found this.

Just my 2p worth.
    Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :-)
  • supersonic
    Just update the ad with a new post in the thread. The system is open to abuse if ads can be edited.
  • Sorry SS, surely the only person who can edit the original post/ad is the person posting it, or is the new format not configured that way?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You are correct and people have abused it.

Eg editing the price up and then posting the old price as reduced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    And changing the items! This way the buyer can see exactly what is going on, and any subsequent reductions or changes to the ad.
  • So, if I've got this right, we are to edit the original ad and post that as a reply, yes?

As far as I can see that's just as open to abuse from the people who will do that kind of s$%t as it will lead to people "bumping" thier ad by altering a couple of words or adding better pics or whatever. Another thing the mods were very hot on in the old style forum, and again something I agreed with.

Maybe the mods should get together and decide which is the smallest evil or more to the point, which will cause them the least amount of grief and work and go with that. After all, most of the folks using the forum are responsible, honest people and we also have a chance to self-police with the "report post" button.

Knowing were we stand would be nice. I've always found the moderators on this forum some of the harshest of all the forums out there but have never had an issue with "unfair" removal of my posts as I've always been informed of where I went wrong in that post.

You'll never please all the people all the time and any public forum will be a compromise. You just have to do what's best for the majority and let the users decide if they want to continue using the forum or not.

Like I said in my earlier post, this is all just my 2p worth (although I might be up to about 5p by now :lol: )
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No you can not edit it. You just make a post stating the changes. Like reduced to £100 ( where the top post states £120). Or a better description etc. Changing a few words will show up for what it is as the original is still there an people can see through it.

Just posting bump up btt a cheeky weekend bump or any of that other carp will get you nowhere.

Simples it is so simple that is it.

Also reporting the same advert will just get it merged with the existing advert which will also show the poster as what they are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    s it will lead to people "bumping"

As Nick says, we have never had a problem with subsequent updates. It is not bumping. Blatant bumping will be dealt with.