Winter Clothing

pazals
pazals Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I have a real newbie question any thoughts gratefully received. I have padded shorts and a short sleeved jersey and its getting a bit cold. Do I need to opt for a base layer under the short sleeved jersey, a long sleeved jersey, a jacket or arm warmers for winter? hopefully I dont need all four I'm already getting grief for the amount I've spent on the bike. Regarding the shorts do I need bibbed tights or tights without padding to go over (or under?) the shorts. Everyone I see out on the road seems to be wearing shorts over the top of somethitng what's that all about are they wearing unpadded tights under padded shorts? I'm confused any advice is most welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Search is your friend. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • They are wearing legwarmers with their shorts.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You mean you don't already have a base layer ? I wear mine year round.

Get down to aldi they've had some cheap base layers in and also some bike jackets and longs.

Most of us have shedloads of kit but for winter- a wind proof jacket and longs will see the most action.

You can always layer up underneath.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    For the colder months bibtights are best. I prefer padded ones but, unpadded are fine with shorts underneath. A winter weight baselayer and windproof jacket is what you'll need. Try not to skimp too much on the jacket - something like a gore phantom (or various other gore windstopper jkts) / endura windchill.
  • pazals
    pazals Posts: 3
    thanks all for your comments
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    When the weather really turns cold and wet or both (it's Britain after all) get some waterproof overshoes and close up (tape over) any vents your shoes may have on the underside - cycling with cold wet feet is not pleasant. Likewise for your hands - get some some decent winter gloves. A thermal or windblock skull cap under your helmet (assuming you use one) is also useful.

Once you get into cycling the amount of kit required is practically endless; and then there are always the [un]necessary upgrades :wink:
  • cryocon
    cryocon Posts: 46
    If you want some cheap cycling clothing check out www.mountainwarehouse.com They currently have most things reduced and had an extra 20% off the other week. I took a punt and bought a micro fleece top and long sleeve cycling top. Normally £30 each, got both for £27. I tried out the top yesterday with just a windproof gillet over and was pleasantly surprised, i was warm and it dried super quick when it got sweaty.

They also do a waterproof jacket and softshell jacket for a very good price. Limited colour choice, but in winter i don't care as long as i'm warm.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    +1 to taping up the holes in the soles of your shoes. I also tape over the front vents on my cycling helmet. (Duck tape, which is grey sort of matches my helmet which is silver/grey) It makes more of a difference than you might imagine. The Aldi gloves are earning their keep now although it is not really cold enough for them :?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I'm not really liking the Aldi gloves - I think they're too restrictive.

I don't know what to expect though. Last winter was purely leisure cycling and I got by with a pair of thinsulate, non-cycling gloves. This year I'm commuting as well - albeit a relatively short distance, and its getting too cold with mitts.
  • I've misplaced my tights and had to go out yesterday in running trousers and padded shorts. What I though was a good idea turned out to a painfully bad one. Should have spent longer looking for the warmers
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    +1 to taping up the holes in the soles of your shoes. I also tape over the front vents on my cycling helmet. (Duck tape, which is grey sort of matches my helmet which is silver/grey) It makes more of a difference than you might imagine. The Aldi gloves are earning their keep now although it is not really cold enough for them :?

Just get some overshoes and a buff - saves all the taping lark!

Legwarmers and armwarmers are very versatile but will soon be cold enough to need more. Yesterday morning was a chilly day and I was quite cold on the bike with armwarmers - today warm enough to roll the armwarmers down!
  • I was out on Sunday morning, cold one in Belfast. I had a short sleeve jersey with short sleeve base layer underneath. Tights and padded shorts on as well. I felt good, good speed only problem was that my toes started to hurt with the cold. Might have to invest in a pair of overshoes. Only managed 26miles in total.
  • cougie
    Oh also get on the planet x mailing list. They were doing some great long sleeve jerseys and longs a few months back.

Everyone's different though. You'll often see people in shorts when you are in tights (and vice versa) but it looks as if winter has started. At last. G
  • It was 1 degree up here this morning when I went out.

I was wearing (head down):

Helmet
    Buff, worn balaclava style
    Scull cap
    Cotton Cap
    Shades (freezing air in your eyes is worse than any stone)
    Etxeondo 3-in-1 hat, worn as a scarf
    Long sleeve jersey
    Short sleeve jersey
    Long sleeve merino base layer
    Endura Deluge gloves
    Bib tights
    Leg warmers
    Overshoes
    Thick socks
    Shoes

I just can't wait until it's sub-zero. :roll:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If you get some thick shorts you can wear them autumn and most of winter with leg warmers or kneewarmers, preferable to bibtights IMO and very versatile. I am still wearing normal shorts with kneewarmers and just bought some toe covers but want to get warmer shorts {Assos and Northwave do a pair} cos my tush is getting a bit cold.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I don't think a winter jacket is really necessary providing you layer up with baselayers and jerseys and carry a packable waterproof for when it rains. I also find that shorts and legwarmers are fine for temperatures above freezing.
  • cougie
    You must run hot then thegibdog - I'm in my winter jacket and thermal longs most of the winter, and always wear at least a baselayer and a jersey as well.
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    I'm as near Glasgow as makes no difference, and I'm currently in two pairs of socks, shoes & overshoes; thermal bib tights with padded bib shorts over the top; short-sleeve base layer, longs-sleeve jersey & waterproof jacket; full-finger gloves, skullcap & helmet.
  • My wife bought me a Crane winter jersey/jacket from Aldi, reduced from £16 to a tenner! Really good quality, breathable, shower proof and a good fit. You could easily pay £40-50 for this from another brand. Their cycling tights are also pretty good quality with a decent pad. I would be minded to buy slightly more bling gear in the summer rather than ruining over the winter.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    nhoj wrote:
    I'm as near Glasgow as makes no difference, and I'm currently in two pairs of socks, shoes & overshoes; thermal bib tights with padded bib shorts over the top; short-sleeve base layer, longs-sleeve jersey & waterproof jacket; full-finger gloves, skullcap & helmet.

You wear your padded shorts over your tights? I always wear my padded shorts with tights over the top of them.
  • As an aside if you are travelling to and from work I found the biggest issue was not what you wear but how the hell to get it all dry by the time its time to go home without turning your place of work in to a laundry room!

So I bought a shoe dryer and put a Tournado Dryer in a store room in the warehouse best £60 I have spent on cycling!
  • nhoj
    Damn! I bought that Aldi jacket when it was £16. Yes, it's good. Two things I would say about it. For me, the arms are a little short and so the thumb holes are a bit tight. A bigger size would be too big elsewhere. I suspect most jackets with thumb holes would be like that for me though as I have long limbs. The zip is also a bit stiff at the bottom, which might be a one-off. All in all, a good jacket and a bargain at that price.
  • nhoj
    rjh299 wrote:
    You wear your padded shorts over your tights? I always wear my padded shorts with tights over the top of them.
    The reason being that I would rather the shorts wore down quicker than the tights because they're cheaper to replace. From the outside, you can't tell that I'm not wearing shorts and leg warmers.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    nhoj wrote:
    rjh299 wrote:
    The reason being that I would rather the shorts wore down quicker than the tights because they're cheaper to replace. From the outside, you can't tell that I'm not wearing shorts and leg warmers.

I've got DHB tights, not bib tights, so not very expensive really and they hold their position well. They may take the brunt of the wear as in your thinking aswell, but mainly I prefer to have the chamois in contact with skin rather than the tights. Cheap tights with good shorts underneath works for me as it saves spending a lot on good bib tights and I can use the shorts in winter and summer.
  • The arms are a lttle short for me on the aldi top also, dont use the thumb holes because of this.
  • Hi - can anyone recommend a jacket brand that offers a truly waterproof - not showerproof - jacket? Preferably one that could be worn as an everyday coat. Doesn't have to be warm as I can layer up but does have to be properly waterproof.

Currently I have a Helly Hansen jacket with "Hellytech" which is supposed to be waterproof - it is showerproof at best. Seeing that this is a sailing brand, where I assume the chances of getting wet are pretty high - I find odd!

I used to have a Rockport XCS jacket with Hydroshield which actually was amazingly waterproof. Used to get drenched, hang the coat up and literally 5 minutes later it was dry. Wish I hadn't sold it but I think I did because it was only a Harrington style - not a 3/4 length.

Any brand recommendations greatly received, cheers
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Hi - can anyone recommend a jacket brand that offers a truly waterproof - not showerproof - jacket? Preferably one that could be worn as an everyday coat. Doesn't have to be warm as I can layer up but does have to be properly waterproof.

Wearing a waterproof every day is just daft. No matter what manufacturers claim, no waterproof is breathable enough for cycling. Best thing is to wear a windproof (or even a jacket or jersey that is only windproof on the front where it needs to be) and carry a lightweight waterproof/showerproof. This works well for commuting or shorter rides, say up to an hour or two. Then just keep an eye on the weather forecast, which is usually wrong, but you can usually get a feel for whether its likely to be peeing it down when you intend to ride and reserve the full on waterproof for those occasional properly rainy days.
    More problems but still living....
  • I was thinking about buying one of these for next year as a waterproof jacket:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-path-ii-gore-tex-waterproof-cycling-jacket

At the moment I have a Altura Pocket Rocket, has anyone got or used the above jacket? Will it fold down so I can fit the jacket into a jersey pocket?
  • designman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 pm
    I was thinking about buying one of these for next year as a waterproof jacket:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ing-jacket

I have one of these that I found for 60 quid in a running shop. fantastic. light packs small enough to go in a jersey pocket, not the most breathable jacket but great just to have in the pocket or rucksack for those times you get caught out
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    No such thing as waterproof and breathable in same time, this is in my experience from 14 expedition with 12 days of constant rain (just bad luck).

Proper winter jacket (0-10) must have protection from the sides as well, not just in front. Softshell windstopper jackets will provide insulation as well, but these are expensive.

Enjoying my Altura Ergofit Windproof Gloves, very nice made.