Commuting in the Rain

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,

Couple of questions.

(1) my commute bike is an old halfords disc break mountain bike 26" wheels, can anyone reccommend me some mudguards and would you go front and back, I'm possibly interested in some panniers too and wonder would that rule any out?

(2) with it being more and more wet these days what maintenance should I do to my bike every night or weekend. at present I just make sure the chain in oiled.

Thanks

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    SKS Chromoplastics are my choice of mudguard. Your discs shouldn't present a problem.

If you got mudguards on the you shouldn't have much problem with maintenance; I wipe my chain and spray the cassette with a bit of GT85 every evening and then clean the drive train every other weekend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jefflad
    Yeah I was thinking on my ride in to use that or WD40, wipe and re-oil but wasn't sure if that was overkill to do everynight.

I'll ckeck the mudguards out, thanks.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Disks can interfere with the threaded eyelets. You can fit chromoplastics if you bend the stays around the brake caliper.
    Same goes for racks but you cant bend them. If a normal rack will fit, use that. The disc-compatible racks are spaced out about 1" at the base on each side. This increases stress on the bolt, adds air resistance and reduces your ability to squeeze through gaps. If you only have one set of eyelets, rack and mudguard have to share the same bolt. usually you put the rack on first to minimise bending on the bolt. With a disc rack, you really cant do that.

Do you have sus forks, are there eyelets for the front? If not you need an MTB clip-on mudgaurd
  • jefflad
    Thanks Michael, I've ordered some mudguards so when they come and bear in mind I may need to bend them some....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MichaelW wrote:
    adds air resistance and reduces your ability to squeeze through gaps.
    Indeed, that 1" spacer pushes them much further out than your pedals doesn't it???????

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.