Executive pay packages

13»

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Boyzer wrote:
    Tusher, no i dont really give to charities. About 65 percent of my income goes to taxes or pension, so i feel as though ive contributed enough.

I do some volunteer work for MND though, lost a family member to it a few years ago.

Respect for volunteering, but I don't think paying into your pension counts as a charitable contribution :lol:
  • I can almost understand enormous salaries for a CEO who successfully manages a company in a fast changing industry, ie the techonology sector, where he 'reads' the industry and outperforms his peers. What does get me is the top guys at companies like Unilever commanding the big wages when their sole strategy of late is having products magically re-appear with a 'new improved recipe' or 'new formula' and convienently repackaged so you get 15% less for the same price that you paid 2 weeks ago. Product shrinkage to protect your margins is an idea high school students could come up with and not worthy of £millions every year.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Executives do deserve their pay because the marginal product of their labour is so high... if an executive makes a strategy decision... it effects £millions in revenues, costs etc.

(and don't even get me started on the market forces argument... we've all seen what happens if you turn to communism)
    I can almost understand enormous salaries for a CEO who successfully manages a company in a fast changing industry, ie the techonology sector, where he 'reads' the industry and outperforms his peers. What does get me is the top guys at companies like Unilever commanding the big wages when their sole strategy of late is having products magically re-appear with a 'new improved recipe' or 'new formula' and convienently repackaged so you get 15% less for the same price that you paid 2 weeks ago. Product shrinkage to protect your margins is an idea high school students could come up with and not worthy of £millions every year.

You would be surprised what 'successful' management is actually defined as in such markets... usually it involves bringing in a new 'superstar' CEO with a bold 'new' vision who changes everything to get marginally (if at all) better results..
    or observing what your peers in an industry are doing and copying the latest faddish management techniques.

There are actually very few Jobs, Whitmans or Welches who can actually be described as Superstar CEOs.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    In among all the personal aggrandizement that this thread has revealed, a little objective discussion, for a change:

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/11/07/the-s ... n-fallacy/

I think the considered view is somewhat at odds with any idea of meritocracy......
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,894
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    pliptrot wrote:
    In among all the personal aggrandizement that this thread has revealed, a little objective discussion, for a change:

I think the considered view is somewhat at odds with any idea of meritocracy......

Good article - I think there's a lot of truth in that.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,894
    pliptrot wrote:

Good article - I think there's a lot of truth in that.

watch the vid on youtube
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Seen it before some time ago - possibly linked off here - agree it's interesting.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.