Tyres

mamiljock
mamiljock Posts: 69
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
As a road cyclist, after last winter in North Scotland, I am looking to do some off road cycling over the winter months. I have dug my 20year old no suspension Cannondale mountain bike out of the garage and after a day at the rocky tracks at Laggan the tyres have died - the sidewalls are disintegrating. They are the original Farmer John's Nephew tyres 26 x 1.95. I am looking for new tyres but the choice and best size for my intended use, is confusing - I do not intend doing rocky tracks like Laggan again but more cyclocross style on mainly a mixture of farm and forestry roads, hill tracks and public road and am looking for a reasonably fast rolling tyre which will cope. Was looking at Continental X Kings or Mountain Kings - any thoughts or alternatives (not overly concerned about performance in mud)?
ya still gotta crank it

Comments

• Although have no experience with them, I would get X-kings :)
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • Kenda small block 8's are pretty decent for general purpose and roll well
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    1+ for small block 8, I've been hearing a positive user experience from them, but they are not up to the task in mud - they are terrible in fact.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • add595
    add595 Posts: 196
    I can recommend the X-king's, I have a pair of 2.2's on my Trance, fast rolling yet quite capable when the terrain gets slippery.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
    Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
    Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
    Various other parts 'n' projects