Should i buy a Garmin Edge 605 ?

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I have about £200 max to spend on a GPS. I was looking at at 605 at £181 (cheapest ive found so far). Has anyone got one of these or can anyone recomend something else within my price range ? Not really bothered if it has HR monitor or Cadence sensor as i know the bundles with these push the price up a bit.

Thanks
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• teulk
    Ok, can anyone recomend anything other than Garmin for the money i have.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    check these guys out http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/343/1/cycling-gps cheapest I think your find.
    I've an 800 and love it. had an older 750 and whilst good the 800s newer and far more accurate. if you can id go for the 500 for the money....unless you want the mapping !
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I love my Garmin 605. Got it for Christmas last year and it has been fantastic.

I use it along with Tracklogs to map rides that I can then upload and follow. The days of having to stop to check maps are long gone.

Added to that is the virtual partner for pacing on my regular training route..

It seems very accurate and has a good battery life and lots of memory.

Best Christmas present ever!!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • teulk
    Thanks for the feedback, i would love a 750 or a 800 but unfortunately cant stretch that far money wise. I know i could probably get a second hand one if im lucky but even when looking they still seem a little out of my price range.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The 605 is great, does everything i'll ever need.
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    I get Garmin 500 recently for about 160 pounds, really like it, its tiny, records usual metrics + temperature, barometer altitude, heartrate and cadence (need additional devices). Easy to use and upload data to sites like garmin connect or strava.
  • teulk
    turnerjohn wrote:
    check these guys out http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/343/1/cycling-gps cheapest I think your find.
    !

This was actually one of the first sites i came across but didn't have any in stock ( and still dont) so i kind of discounted them, the next cheapest was £181 :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Handtec are good. Worth pre-ordering at £154.
    Rich
  • I've got an edge 605 and it's been brilliant. I use a regular bike computer for most of my rides and when I want to ride a new route I use gpsies.com to create a garmin track, then upload to the 605 and go out and ride said route.
    Simon G
  • teulk
    As for Handtec, i emailed them for a stock check and they are no longer stocking the 605. I've managed to get a 705 HR for £168 off ebay (Currys/PCWorld) so im pretty happy with that Just waiting for it to arrive any day now.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010