Punctures on 29ers

sussexboy1954
sussexboy1954 Posts: 14
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hi all

Been riding years, but earlier this year decided to buy a 29er, which I love. Everything is great on it but get punctures on nearly every ride.

I have had my fair share of punctures on 26" wheels but nothing on this scale. LBS say they are hearing 29er are more prone to punctures and it seem to be the only drawback on the bike.

Have changed tyres but still they happen.

Any comments from 29 riders

Comments

• I'm not a 29er rider, but it would make more sense that they puncture more as they have more of a surface area in contact with the road, and also any sharp objects.

Are you running them at low pressure though? That would be my main thought, then your riding technique could differ on the 29er?
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Are you running them at low pressure though? That would be my main thought, then your riding technique could differ on the 29er?

Correct IME. 29ers run lower pressures to get the full feel of the bigger wheels and the benefits of them. Hence me getting more pinch flats.

The other thing is the choice of rubber for 29ers is limited, hence me having totally inapptopriate rubber at the moment. Maxxis Aspens. Thin walled light raceish rubber.