Puncture repair kits

scottarm
scottarm Posts: 119
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
decided to recycle a few old punctured tubes (at close to five pound a go can't afford to keep buying new tubes) does anyone have any recommendations or will any old kit do the job

Scott

Comments

• Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I have one of these

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=1682&f_SupersetQRY=C275&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003139c003528

Edinburgh Bike claim they are the best repair kit in the world. I don't know about that, but they certainly seem to do the job!
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    the park tools one, they're self adhesive so no need for messy glue and its in a very small box. they're also clear so you can see the adhesive has taken
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Any patches will do. Feather edge are better but not vital. There's a lot of BS spoken these days about puncture repairs but the reality is that as long as the glue & patch are properly applied - it's as easy to it properly as it is do it wrong - the repair will be at least as strong as the original tube & probably better.

A trip to your LBS should see you stocked up with what you need.

My evidence for this is that as a 'cyclist' I go through stages where the default gift is a cheap set of lights or similar, and occasionally the cheapest nastiest repair kits known to man, but they all work as long as the patch is applied properly. Patches coming adrift is an unknown here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    rema tiptop tt04

it's the law

btw tt04 is the correct version for road bikes, thinner patches, not to be confused with tt02 etc., you can also get packs of extra tt04 patches
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CiB wrote:
    Any patches will do. Feather edge are better but not vital. There's a lot of BS spoken these days about puncture repairs but the reality is that as long as the glue & patch are properly applied - it's as easy to it properly as it is do it wrong - the repair will be at least as strong as the original tube & probably better.

My evidence for this is that as a 'cyclist' I go through stages where the default gift is a cheap set of lights or similar, and occasionally the cheapest nastiest repair kits known to man, but they all work as long as the patch is applied properly. Patches coming adrift is an unknown here.

What he said. One of the areas of the bike that has seen the least development in recent years, because it has not needed it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Whichever ones you choose get them quickly because now you have typed the "p" word in you will probably be needing them in the near future. :lol:
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Anything self adhesive. Never had any problems, even from a Halfords set!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    Rapha carbon fibre patches, for better power transfer and decreased aerodynamic drag. £120 for five patches, but they're worth it. They'll knock minutes off your personal best. Don't believe the sceptics.
  • I wish I'd read this on Saturday. A hour and half into Sunday's ride I hit a pothole and punctured both front and rear! The spare tube sorted one. The solid cement in the repair kit didn't sort the other ..... A passing local rescued me - he put me and bike in his car and ferried back to my own car. Incidentally, when I got home I took a new tube out of its box and replaced the punctured one. 2 minutes later I return to the bike and ... yes the tyre was flat! There was a hole in the new tube, too. Hmmm, there must be a lesson to be learnt here.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    There was a hole in the new tube, too. Hmmm, there must be a lesson to be learnt here.

Probably it is............... check the tyre isnt pinching the tub before putting any real pressure into it. :D

Would be nice to think the tube was already punctured but almost certainly - it will have been pinched during fitting / inflation
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    My only real preferences in puncture repair kits are patches that aren't too large (they are a little more tricky to apply to a narrow tube if they are wider than the tube itself is when pressed flat), and ones where the transparent cover on the top peels off easily without risking lifting the edges of the patch at all. Actually, my current kit fails on both counts, so I'm open to recommendations...
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    CiB wrote:

This. I've used wilko's puncture repair kits which cost about 3p and the patches/glue work perfectly fine.
  • Rapha carbon fibre patches, for better power transfer and decreased aerodynamic drag. £120 for five patches, but they're worth it. They'll knock minutes off your personal best. Don't believe the sceptics.

Assos are much better: more stylish and will last ten times ( yes ! 10x) longer than ordinary patches.
    Anything else is just false economy.
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    I bought a job lot off ebay from Kong Hong. Utter Sh1te. They don't stick well and you can't peel the plastic layer off without destroying the patch. I smelt a rat when the instructions referring to using a hammer to apply them:) They are too big for road tubes as well.

Never had a problem with the normal kits though, although the tip top ones are supposed to be best.

I see the self adhesive ones as being a get-you-home emergency fix rather than a proper repair.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I wish I'd read this on Saturday. A hour and half into Sunday's ride I hit a pothole and punctured both front and rear! The spare tube sorted one. The solid cement in the repair kit didn't sort the other ..... A passing local rescued me - he put me and bike in his car and ferried back to my own car. Incidentally, when I got home I took a new tube out of its box and replaced the punctured one. 2 minutes later I return to the bike and ... yes the tyre was flat! There was a hole in the new tube, too. Hmmm, there must be a lesson to be learnt here.
    You could be pinching the tube as you're replacing it ...... easily done, just a little more care when replacing.