What is your maintenance schedule?

EightOhEight
EightOhEight Posts: 170
edited November 2011 in Workshop
Noob looking for guidance to general maintenance and cleaning of the bike.
Looking for advice/tips regards;
What to check before rides.
What to check/clean/maintain after every ride.
When to check, regards distance covered, different components.
Going to invest in a book and trawl the web - but any advice regards books/web stuff you use welcome.

Most pertinent at the moment is what lubes are people using - where,when & why.

Off to read through Bike Radar's workshop section now.... I feel a fettling obsession coming on.

Cheers

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Pump tyres up every few days and fix stuff when broken.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • A reply from a tool....
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    A reply from a tool....
    Your thread title asked "What is your maintenance schedule?". I replied with an honest answer. If you can't handle that without feeling the need to reply with insults, consider killing yourself.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Get the Parker blue book -that'll sort you out. Which lube comes up a lot it's a bit like whether to wear a helmet I.e. opinions differ.....
  • Park tools book looks ideal - Cheers Lucky.

As for Herbsman, appologies for my response, I just thought it amusing and apt regards a thread on maintainance. I should have looked at your occupation on your profile before posting it...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. I just squeeze the tyres and pump them up a bit if required before I go out. Occasionally wipe and sparingly lube the chain (wax based lube in the summer, oil of some kind in the winter) and pop the wear checker on it.
    Ditto occasionally wipe and lube the pivot points on the mechs and the brake calipers

Other than that I just fix / replace bits that break or wear out

Sometimes if the weather's vile and I'm bored I'll strip and regrease the hubs, check the headset, BB, freehub, or whip off the chain and cassette for a good clean, but it's not what I'd call a schedule.