Why so much cyclocross recently?

hello_yoshi
hello_yoshi Posts: 39
I understand its that time of the year for getting nice and muddy but why is it that almost every single piece of BR home page news for the last 2 weeks has been about cyclocross?

There used to be a really nice balance in the news, its what made BR interest for people who are into all forms of cycling, but now it seems the things interesting you have to talk about are cyclocross, cyclocross and more cyclocross!!!

Please bring something else into the mix.

Comments

• The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    I understand its that time of the year for getting nice and muddy but why is it that almost every single piece of BR home page news for the last 2 weeks has been about cyclocross?

There used to be a really nice balance in the news, its what made BR interest for people who are into all forms of cycling, but now it seems the things interesting you have to talk about are cyclocross, cyclocross and more cyclocross!!!

+1
  • waynej
    waynej Posts: 56
    It's entirely logical. Cyclocross only starts at this time of the year when most other cycling events are in their off-season - there is more cx to report than anything else. Then for the rest of the year there is no cx coverage.

If you go to a cx race you'll see as many roadies as mtb'ers. It's a big mix and appeals to a wide cross section of riders.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    My feeling, which could be completely wrong, is that cyclocross is quickly becoming more popular, but that the culture of it is still quite niche-y/clique-y and low-key. BR are just trying to appeal to another group. Tbh, I don't see this last few weeks of reviews and features as being any different to all the repetitive stuff that always follow the TdF, etc.
  • I have always found there to be a nice mix of news on BR. Cyclocross is definitely gaining in popularity, particularly in the UK and US and granted it is the start of the season, but still every single headline recently has been cyclocross related.

I enjoy cyclocross as much as road and mtb, but I have never noticed all the BR headlines to be MTB biased, or road biased, for such a prolonged period.

I don't say no to the news, I still read it, I just want to see what is going on elsewhere.

I'm of to STW and road.cc to fill in the blanks.....
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    just my 2c worth, but I believe CX bikes are the 'new thing' (declares interest, I just bought one last Saturday http://bit.ly/tHl3Dm)
    Surely MTB's (I have one as well) are basically unfit for purpose, unless that purpose is off-road. For commuting, touring, general pub visits, Sunday tootling about, club rides etc they are too heavy and slow.
    A CX bike is pretty much ideal for all of the above, plus all but the most heavy duty of off-roading.
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • I understand its that time of the year for getting nice and muddy but why is it that almost every single piece of BR home page news for the last 2 weeks has been about cyclocross?

Concur. It appears to be getting a disproportionate amount of coverage in relation to the number of people who are interested in it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For commuting, touring, general pub visits, Sunday tootling about, club rides etc they are too heavy and slow.

Mine isn't ;-)
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    We've been doing themed weeks ths year. Last week it was cyclo-cross's turn. Winter clothing coming up next (there'll be less of that than cyclo-cross)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Jeff, about themed weeks, have you considered something about commuting activism? How to lobby for better/improved conditions for urban bike lanes. How to understand the way councils decide on cycling policy etc.

It's big in the states but I notice that you guys steer way clear of anything to do with promoting safe cycling vis a vis the government. Why so shy?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Cyclocross season perhaps? :lol:
    What other racing's going off? Bit of 6-Days, some of this MTB stuff and the odd race in the Southern Hemisphere.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.