Road Rage

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    When the day comes that a lycra clad roadie acknowledges me or returns my greeting maybe then I'll think they're not all to$$ers.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    edited October 2011
    I just think its all about consideration - from both cyclists and drivers.

Lets face it, it aint ever gonna happen completely from either side. Threads like this just demonstrate just how far away we are from it.

Edit: i think Rich above said it better than me, didnt see that before posting!
  • oodboo wrote:
    When the day comes that a lycra clad roadie acknowledges me or returns my greeting maybe then I'll think they're not all to$$ers.

Mate,

why don't you address some of the points I and others have made, in an attempt to challenge your views about riding two abreast?

Slinging insults around from an entrenched position doesn't make for a very grown-up discussion.
  • oodboo
    I don't feel the need to answer to you. I have my opinions, you have yours and I don't think either of us are going to change.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:

Maybe they just didn't see you?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • BQ60
    BQ60 Posts: 4
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    There's no excuse for abusive behaviour. End of.

As a driver I try to give a cyclist as much room as possible. Last week a cyclist gave me a mouthful, even though I'd waited and given plenty of room. Sometimes you can't win.

As a cyclist I try to give as much space as I can for other traffic.

Due consideration. There's too little of it around on all sides these days

+1
    When Im driving I give cyclists as much room as I can when passing them. But when Im out on two wheels, I get cars, vans, trucks passing me so close its shocking.

Theres too little consideration in life in general these days.
  • Benno68 wrote:
    oodboo wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    You should drop down to single file when you hear vehicles approaching, it p***es me off when you come across cyclists that refuse go drop to single file, so it's hardly surprising that some cyclists get abuse when they create a rolling roadblock.

+1 you should be riding single file when there's other traffic about. And you say they're the tossers.

Can you tell me where it says that in the Highway Code.

Why don't you both sell your bike and go and fark off and play with your car.
    :D

Yes, why are you even on Bikeradar? Are you a troll or something?

:?

• After many years of riding I've come to the conclusion that a horse's life is worth a lot more that a human's.

I think this is more to do with the fact that a great big spooked horse could do a lot more damage to their precious motor than a cyclist. :shock:

From a lycra clad roadie who says hello to anybody else on a bike (or a horse) - yes even MTBers. Not that I'm at all interested, but perhaps this means I am only half a tosser in the wonderful world of oodboo :?:
  • oodboo wrote:

Hey, I've got something for you.

111%20mens%20long%20black%20gothic%20trench%20buckled%20coat%201.jpg

You are specially assigned to take it here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=o ... a=N&tab=wl
  • BQ60 wrote:
    Theres too little consideration in life in general these days.

I think that people are generally good and kind, but something happens to (some) people when they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. There is a massive assumption (reinforced by case law, the media and by government policy) that driving entitles you to speed and freedom, and therefore impatience, aggression and antisocial acts [driving itself is highly antisocial] are not only excusable but to be encouraged.
  • oodboo
    oodboo wrote:

I don't get it.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:

Whoooosh!

Anyone care to spell this one out for me?
  • oodboo wrote:

Whoooosh!

Anyone care to spell this one out for me?

Yep that one went right over mine as well
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    oodboo wrote:
    I don't feel the need to answer to you. I have my opinions, you have yours and I don't think either of us are going to change.

If you hate roadies why don't you piss off back to the MTB forum then?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355

From a lycra clad roadie who says hello to anybody else on a bike (or a horse) - yes even MTBers. Not that I'm at all interested, but perhaps this means I am only half a tosser in the wonderful world of oodboo :?:

That's 2 of us, so far.

I couldn't care less if I get a response or not, I've done my end of the deal, the rest is the other persons problem.

I even say hi to Joggers who never say hello!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    If this thread is an indication of the lack of respect and consideration people show each other then the roads must be a dangerous place ...............
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Rich Hcp wrote:

That's 2 of us, so far.

I couldn't care less if I get a response or not, I've done my end of the deal, the rest is the other persons problem.

I even say hi to Joggers who never say hello!

The old waving chestnut again. Michael Hutchinson said in cycling weekly that you can only wave at other bike riders if they are wearing proper road shoes . . . thems is the rules . . . simple. Before another argument begins this is clearly tongue in cheek.

I might be wrong but I think stdracula was making some joke about "getting your coat" and leaving but the Matrix style coat confused things :wink:

Anyways

oodboo is clearly a troll or just a rather angry individual who has got a little upset because some roadies haven't waived at him so he thought he'd come and cause trouble over in the road section of an internet forum :roll: oh dear
  • dilemna wrote:
    If this thread is an indication of the lack of respect and consideration people show each other then the roads must be a dangerous place ...............

They certainly are.

Look at the UK general public and there are so many ignorant, selfish, stupid, moronic, aggressive, self absorbed, egotistical and downright unpleasant individuals its not surprising its dangerous as most of these people drive. On the flip side some ride cycles as well...

Edit: I dont think oddboo is a troll, just has a different opinion. To me he was just saying that cyclist should show consideration as well, albeit in a more confrontational way than is to be advised in the road cycling part of a forum. Responses were always going to be a tad one sided.
  • after reading comments i'd like to add that i always drop to single file to let cars passed. its just a tadge difficult to do so when the car passing is approaching so fast that you dont have time to do so. tossers 2 & 3 we're doing just that - so fast that i didnt even hear them until it was too late

ive been driving for over 20 years so understand good road sense.

i'm still stewing about this now. i can understand eejits in town (ive been riding the commute for 5 years) but not out in the sticks where there's no traffic?
  • after reading comments i'd like to add that i always drop to single file to let cars passed. its just a tadge difficult to do so when the car passing is approaching so fast that you dont have time to do so. tossers 2 & 3 we're doing just that - so fast that i didnt even hear them until it was too late

i'm still stewing about this now. i can understand eejits in town (ive been riding the commute for 5 years) but not out in the sticks where there's no traffic?
  • oodboo
    Ah yes, my opinion is different to yours so it's easier to label me a troll that accept their are people on here with conflicting views.

I'll accept the "get your coat" explanation so I can finally stop watching this topic.

At least it was good to see that there are a few other people on here who agree that it should be give and take on the roads rather than just expect everyone to yield to them.

Strava
  • still reading some of these - dear lord.

rolling roadblock???? there was no roadblock, we didnt get in anyones way nor slow anyone down.

they we're just tossers.
  • oodboo
    Sorry, one last post.
    we're just tossers.

Thank you

Strava
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Moving on to the happier topic of waving - and otherwise acknowledging others -, living in the country, I wave, smile, nod, say hello to everyone on foot, horseback or bicycle. When I first moved to Glasgow, I experienced what Crocodile Dundee encountered in New York: no one responding to my acknowledgements. A stark contrast with the Outer Hebrides, where even the car drivers wave to you and beep their horns to greet you!
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    It might not be directed personally at you - remember you don't know who or what is a mile behind you on the road. You could be associated with another rider/s being obstructive, and just got the net result of that. No excuse, granted, but perhaps an explanation.

Living close to Devil's Dyke on the South Coast, I get to witness both sides of the coin. Despite all the indignation expressed in this thread, I will say that - as with most things -the actions of the minority wreck it for the majority.

A few months back I caught up the local club Peloton on a busy fast A-Road - a clump of 40 or so, 10mph, en masse taking up the entire lane. No problems, safety in numbers etc - a long overtake, but with them trundling along at that speed still an easy pass... apart from the three or four knob ends who'd taken it upon themselves to ride in the opposite lane, thus preventing anything from passing the group. A brief toot to say 'I'm here, I'd like to pass' was met with a barrage of sign language from the back of the peloton.

I would have hoped this was an isolated incident, but this sort of stupidity is a relatively regular occurrence round here. Indeed I suspect it was the same club who blasted past my wife on her horse down a country lane a while ago and caused him to bolt. 30+ bicycles make a surprising amount of noise, and zipping past a horse at 20mph without a word of warning is bloody crazy considering a half-tonne horse is a Flight animal with more than enough sharp bits to ruin anyone's day.

It's rather sad - most people wouldn't drive a car like that, but putting on cleats and lycra seems to affect some people in odd ways. Motorcycling has the same issue - bashlid and leathers can turn mild mannered sensible people into psychopathic kamikaze lunatics.
  • lifeform - absolutely spot on. Any cyclist that cant agree with that frankly is as bad as the car drivers they criticise.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    oodboo wrote:
    last post.
    Thank you
  • I don't get this hatred between cyclists.

oodboo - my hunch is that you've never had the experience that BobbyTrigger posted on. You're lucky. My most extreme similar experience involved 5 people blasting or shouting at me over the course of a short ride. One of them cut me up badly and nearly knocked me off while I was travelling at 24mph. That was a pretty scary moment.

Driver then turned off into a car park and I went to speak to him to (reasonably) point out that he could have killed me if he'd been a couple of inches to the left. He chose to ignore me and not acknowledge my presence.

That incident happened when I was riding two abreast with a friend, but I've been shouted at and cut up when I've been riding on my own. Sh1t, but you just have to accept it.

I think it's a shame that OP came onto the forum to share his experience and have a few pals say "yup, that's sh1t, happened to me etc etc" only to end up getting slagged off and called a tosser by other cyclists. We get that on the roads and don't expect to get it here.

I understand you don't like roadies, oodboo, but maybe you could be a little more thoughtful about what these forums are about: they're a place to share experiences and the pleasure of cycling. We don't have to agree with each other, but it would be nice if we didn't get slagged off by each other either. Debate is good, but like in fac to face communication, sometimes it's good to be sensitive to other people.

rolling roadblock???? there was no roadblock, we didnt get in anyones way nor slow anyone down.

they we're just tossers.

I wouldn't worry. Literacy seems all to common a problem on many threads where people don't read what's been written.by the OP but feel compelled to say something based upon vast assumptions just to prove a point.

Our MTBing friend clearly has some psycho-social issues unrelated to the discussion but in their mind their contributions make some sort of sense.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    after reading comments i'd like to add that i always drop to single file to let cars passed. its just a tadge difficult to do so when the car passing is approaching so fast that you dont have time to do so. tossers 2 & 3 we're doing just that - so fast that i didnt even hear them until it was too late

I do exactly the same thing and have had exactly the same negative experiences with impatient tossers who can't be bothered to slow down for 2 or 3 seconds until you are aware of them and can move into single file. But how come this important topic has been completely derailed by a stupid argument sparked off by people with polarized viewpoints which they are not prepared to discuss reasonably? (not directed at the OP obviously!). Yet again proportionality and reasoned debate is thrown out of the window, I despair for the future of humanity when I read stuff like this... :wink:

To my mind in 90% of circumstances when you are riding 2 abreast on a quiet road and a car comes up behind you, it is only polite and sensible to move into single file to allow the car to pass whenever they decide it is safe to do so. To not do this is effectively to tell the driver "I don't trust your judgement", and it's hardly surprising if that pisses some people off. However, it sometimes takes a few seconds to cotton on to the fact that someone's behind you, especially if they have approached quickly and you are riding fast and can't hear them because of wind noise. I don't mind if in that situation the driver gives a friendly peep so that you know he/she is there and can move into single file (there is a subtle but abundantly obvious distinction between a friendly peep and an angry honk - the latter will generally illicit a reciprocally unfriendly gesture from me...)

There are situations when it is obviously unsafe to pass, just as when you are riding by yourself. I think in these cases (e.g. a twisty descent) you normally wouldn't be wanting to ride 2 abreast in any case however, and even if you were I still think if a car comes up behind it is better to move into single file but stick to the middle of the lane until it is safe to move over and let them pass, just as you would do if you were by yourself. Most drivers can interpret these signals and understand your intentions. On a country lane, the chances are the driver is local, so if a majority of cyclists behave in this way then he/she will know from experience that you will move in when it is safe to do so and won't mind waiting for a few seconds.

Of course there are always tossers who can't be reasoned with...