Faint Squeak From the Rear Hub.

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Noticed today (after riding in heavy rain yesterday) a slight squeak eminating from what appears to be my rear hub, only seems to squeak after around 8MPH or so, it squeaks whilst pedalling and freewheeling and the noise gets louder the faster i go. When i have the bike stationary and spin the wheel i can replicate the sound, have notice if i squeeze the rubber seal on the hub whilst the wheel is spinning then the noise seems to dissapear, is this just a case of adding a bit of lube, or is there more to it than that? Would have tried lubing already, but i am at work, and lubeless.

Thanks!

Comments

• Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I had a similar thing, I pushed the rubber boot/cone back on to it's mounting after giving it a bit of a wipe down and the noise disappeared. Not sure if it's the same thing as you are experiencing but it seems like it.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Duffer65 wrote:
    I had a similar thing, I pushed the rubber boot/cone back on to it's mounting after giving it a bit of a wipe down and the noise disappeared. Not sure if it's the same thing as you are experiencing but it seems like it.

Thats the answer i wanted! Cheers for that fella!
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    My Fulcrums did that, not at first, but soon after. A little press on the rubber sorted it, i guess you could put a little oil on it if it carried in.
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    Just put a little grease underneath it.
    Job done
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    My Fulcrum 7's did this after a good (too good) wash down, they all but seized a couple of days later, thety don't have the best sealing.

Easy to fix though just removed the outer sealing bit popped off the seal on the bearing freed it up with a bit of penetrating oil re greased and put back together again.