Optimum wet/muddy tyre set-up..

Kiwi John
Kiwi John Posts: 32
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Advice wanted... what is a good set up for wet/muddyish single track woodland trails. I notice a lot of manufacturers sell MTB's with larger tyres on the front and smaller on the rear, I would have thought the other way around would be more beneficial. At the moment i have Maxxis Minion 26x2.35 Super Tackys attached front and back which i love in dryer weather but were very slow rolling and heavy on my muddy trails this morning. Cheers Peeps...
It's better to burn out than to fade away!!

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What type of riding?
  • I didnt know there was more than one way to ride a single track woodland trail.
    It's better to burn out than to fade away!!
  • The front tyre is usually bigger, as you want it to have as much grip as possible. Think about it, if your back wheel slips at some point, you skid, or slide, but can control it still. If your front will skids or slips, you're almost certain to fall off, or at least feel uncomfortable.

The back tyre is usually slimmer, as you want it to cut through mud to get the grip at the bottom. Slimmer tyres will cut through easier than wider ones

As for what you're after though. Where are you riding? What's the mud like? Gritty? Gloopy? Do you ride on roads to get there? Try different tyres if I were you, it takes a while to find a decent combination. I like Advantages and High Rollers, but change every now and then
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro