Etapes 2012

Garrigou
Garrigou Posts: 145
Pau-Luchon. My reaction rhymes with 'chicken oriental'!
What a day on a bike that is going to be. 197km & about 5150m of elevation gain. If we get 'too hot' or 'too cold/wet' weather they'll need more broom wagon seats than they will finishers medals.
At least with the Tour going over the same route just four days later there will be plenty of campers out to cheer us on.
Should be a true Classic.
Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Did Acte I this year and it was amazing.

Plan on doing Acte I and II this year. Routes look good 8)

Alarm set for 12:01am on the 17th November.
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    I entered both stages this year.

DNF either of them. DNS either. A dog took me out on a training ride breaking my arm in two places. I saw an orthopaedic consultant yesterday and hope to be there next year. I am seeing a lawyer too.

Act 2 logistics look a bit awkward if you are not booking a package. Maybe leave a tent at a Luchon campsite and drive around to Pau for the start?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    La Toussuire is not that easy to get to. From Albertville you have to cross over into the Maurienne valley and out again. La Toussuire is a dead end so logistically not great
    M.Rushton
  • Act 2 looks to be an absolute belter. The second half isn't too taxing in terms of gradients but from the the bottom of the Tourmalet to Peyragudes there is very little opportunity to rest. The Aspin is a long leg sapping drag followed by just over 5ks of proper climbing (luckily mostly in the shade). Then its a technical descent down into the valley and pretty much straight into the Peyresourde which will be hot hot hot. The final descent is a corker though and its very easy to hit big speeds on the run into Bagneres de Luchon.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours cycling and multisport training holidays in the Alps, Pyrenees and beyond

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/LeDomTours and on Facebook http://is.gd/ipG1Ei
  • willy b wrote:

Alarm set for 12:01am on the 17th November.

Is that when you can apply for places without going through a tour operator?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Loving the Pyrenees act II after doing the Raid over those much of that route this year. Would love to go back and do it all together but really fancy the Alps next year 8)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Would have preferred the other day in the Pyrenees - ie Col de Mente, Col de Ares.

Col de Mente is one of the best climbs Ive done with all those fantastic switchbacks. Also this stage would have made logistics much easier - ie Start and finish near Luchon
    Ho Hum
  • Just checked date for act 2.It appears that it is going to be on Sat. 14th july. Is this correct or have the organisers made a mistake?. Surely you would think that they would have held it on the sunday.
  • did a good stretch of acte 1, other than that pesky climb in the middle, as a single stage on the alpes open tour 2010. la toussaire is a long, boring slog up to a ski village -- i actually didn't realise it was an official 'climb' as mis-read the cue sheet. col de la madeleine is superb. it is a great route, although i did like being largely on my own; not sure whether i would like it with 1,000s.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    What is the general cost associated with one of these things - let's say if booked through a tour operator?

Total cost for flights, entires, certificates, hotels, food, etc.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    doing it with a mate is the way I went last year so;
    flight £200 each.
    car hire and petrol £100 each
    accommodation £100 each [ chalet at Modane rented for the week but we only used it for two nights, basic but enough ]
    Entry £90
    Food and drink what ever you want to spend.
    So about £500 plus.
    probably could do it it cheaper if you drove or got a cheaper train/flight.
    I think it's cheaper than a package.
  • What's the entry system like now that there are 2 etapes. Do you still have to go through a tour operator ? Also never done the Madeleine, what's it like ? Thanks
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes I'd be interested in part 2 but what is it like to get into - would be planning to go with a few mates and do it (as far as possible) on the cheap - is it possible for a group to get entry only if you enter straight away or is it likely some of us would miss out ? Alternative is Marmotte again.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Last year you could book on-line on the first day without any major problems. The Alps was the more popular of the Etapes and it did take a few attempts to get into the system for that one, but with a little persistence it was not a significant problem.

If memory serves me correct, the on-line booking was all in French, but relatively easy to navigate, even with my limited grasp of the language.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    According to the dates that I have seen, I think the Etape Phase 1 is the day after the Marmotte.

If this is correct, is anyone planning a double header?
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • alanp23 wrote:
    According to the dates that I have seen, I think the Etape Phase 1 is the day after the Marmotte.

The Marmotte is usually the first Saturday in July, which would be the 7th. Too much for me. But there's a possibility they will move to the first day of the Tour, i.e. 30 June, in which case I will be there.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,549
    alanp23 wrote:

If this is correct, is anyone planning a double header?

Definitely doing Marmotte and looking into logistics of also doing Etape. The main issue will probably be pre race registration. It'll be difficult to register in Albertville on the Saturday if 1 is half way up the Galibier on the Marmotte.
  • The Bourg d'Oisan tourist office thinks the Marmotte is on 7 July 2012 : http://www.bikes-oisans.com/alpes-mtb-cycling-events-42.html. Guess I'll have to choose.
  • alanp23
    I still imagine that doing both in a weekernd could be a fair test.

Marmotte was always going to be on the 7th. As has been said, it seems to always be the first Saturday in July. i wonder if the Etape has been set to be complementary. I cant imagine that it has been set up in competition.

Can you not register for the Etape on the Friday?
  • alanp23 wrote:
    I still imagine that doing both in a weekend could be a fair test.
    I'll be happy to call you the better man. For me, the Alpe d'Huez grimpee was more than enough.
  • stanthomas wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:
    I'll be happy to call you the better man. For me, the Alpe d'Huez grimpee was more than enough.

As long as you're fit enough, both should be do-able. It'll be like a short mountain training camp!!
  • Act 2 looks to be an absolute belter. The second half isn't too taxing in terms of gradients but from the the bottom of the Tourmalet to Peyragudes there is very little opportunity to rest. The Aspin is a long leg sapping drag followed by just over 5ks of proper climbing (luckily mostly in the shade). Then its a technical descent down into the valley and pretty much straight into the Peyresourde which will be hot hot hot. The final descent is a corker though and its very easy to hit big speeds on the run into Bagneres de Luchon.

There has been a lot of work on the road surface on the Luchon side of the Peyresourde which will in the most make the descent even faster. However there has been a subtle change in the road layout at the turning to Agudes where rather than the descent going straight on they have created a dog let which will require some attention.

For information to those thinking of looking for accommodation in Luchon it is already difficult. With up to 10000 participants for the etape, and two stages of the tour coming through later in the week most of the hotels and bed & breakfasts are full.
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • alanp23
    stanthomas wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:

When I used the words "fair test", I was being slightly tongue in cheek.
  • alanp23 wrote:
    I've worked it out for you anyway:
      . Friday: sign on for the Etape in Albertville at 2pm. . Drive to Bourg d'Oisans; I reckon 3hrs so arrive 5pm . Up to Alpe d'Huez to sign on for the Marmotte. . Back to Bourg d'Oisans for 6:30pm; eat, get the bike ready and go to bed. . Let's suppose you're an 8 hour man so, with an early start, you'll be back in Bourg for 4pm. . Shower, eat, quick bike check and head off by 6pm. . Arrive Albertville 9pm and to bed.
    You'll need a willing assistant or two, a driver at very least, but definitely doable. Let us know how it went :wink:
  • alanp23
    stanthomas wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:
    I've worked it out for you anyway:
      . Friday: sign on for the Etape in Albertville at 2pm. . Drive to Bourg d'Oisans; I reckon 3hrs so arrive 5pm . Up to Alpe d'Huez to sign on for the Marmotte. . Back to Bourg d'Oisans for 6:30pm; eat, get the bike ready and go to bed. . Let's suppose you're an 8 hour man so, with an early start, you'll be back in Bourg for 4pm. . Shower, eat, quick bike check and head off by 6pm. . Arrive Albertville 9pm and to bed.
    You'll need a willing assistant or two, a driver at very least, but definitely doable. Let us know how it went :wink:

Brilliant! It does sound eminently doable doesnt it. Sadly last time I finished at 7.30pm. So the biggest issue does sound like lack of sleep. But I am prepared to bet there are a few people that will do it .

:shock:
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    Without been too knowledge about the 17th on-line booking, I take it you give you name License number etc and the medical certificate has to be presented at the event? Well my french is not up to scratch hope its not too hard @midnight.

Act II looks like the most popular event.

.....haven't done Etape before....only done Marmotte in France.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    entry, 4 nights accommodation... at US$1950
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Rich
  • canoas wrote:
    Without been too knowledge about the 17th on-line booking, I take it you give you name License number etc and the medical certificate has to be presented at the event? Well my french is not up to scratch hope its not too hard @midnight.

Act II looks like the most popular event.

.....haven't done Etape before....only done Marmotte in France.

Hello all, my first post.

I'm looking at doing the Etape entry only for the first time also, and would like to know what the best procedure is? I take it you don't need a racing licence, only a medical certificate from your GP? And will the website registrations open at precisely 00:01 on Nov the 17th or just at a time of their choosing?

Act I for me!
  • mikeradar wrote:
    I'm looking at doing the Etape entry
    Entries open 12 noon on 17th, so 11am UK. Download the medical certificate from the website, have it completed by your doctor and hand it in when you sign on in July.
  • Thanks Stan.