Those Belgies are hardcore..

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited October 2011 in Pro race
Even their kids are hard as nails.. OR some of them are...

tenspeed_hero_kids_Ronde1-294x235.jpg

http://tenspeedhero.com/projects/kids-tour-of-flanders/
The classics are over for now, and we cannot help but be steeped in a deep nostalgia for the days we were in Belgium, cutting our teeth in professional cycling journalism at the Ronde Van Vlaaneran. With wide eyes and hopes of that tack sharp shot of Spartacus we stalked the Kapel Muur on the morning of the race. Perched on the Muur’s steepest grade I chose the spot I was certain would be decisive in that day’s Ronde. I waited patiently, listening to Flemish conversion, taking in smells of early morning Jupiler and mossy cobbles. I watched intently, checked my focus and prepared the perfect composition. Earlier than expected, I began to hear crowds cheering and bells ringing. Which classics powerhouse would round the corner first? Boonen? Cancellara? An eight year old on a bike worth his first of year of college tuition! It was the Kid’s Tour of Flanders, the true Heroes, in all their pain, glory and sponsored professional kits. Chapeau small Heroes! Your courage, like your cap, is “one size fits all.”
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Just fantastic to see their little smiling faces :?

tenspeed_hero_kids_Ronde4-294x235.jpg

tenspeed_hero_kids_Ronde9-294x235.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    In Britain our parents buy huge shoes and trousers and say we'll grow into them.

In Belgium, it's top of the range bikes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Brilliant!!!
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Horrible, on a par with those American beauty pageants for kids.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Aw, so cute
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

Yeah, because kids should never not be smiling. :roll:

Bet you get the same look of 10yr olds running around a muddy pitch in the middle of February.

Doesn't mean they don't like it :P

I look pretty miserable when I'm in the pain cave.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    absolutely brilliant! I just wish that I had a bike like that first kid when I was 9 years old! Bloody 'ell Roval wheels, carbon frame, Campag Record group :-) ha! Still, its the first time Ive seen a saddle lower than the handlebars on such a top-end machine :D
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Doobz wrote:
    Even their kids are hard as nails.. OR some of them are...

tenspeed_hero_kids_Ronde1-294x235.jpg

http://tenspeedhero.com/projects/kids-tour-of-flanders/

Thats rujano, surely, on his little bike.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    There was a kids day at the club near me, The age groups went down to 8yrs old! It was something like a 15min criterium, and it looked great fun. They had a peloton, suicide attacks and sprints and everything! Most of the bikes were better than mine!!!

It looked great until one poor guy crashed and started loudly crying (don't blame him, it looked really painful!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

What's wrong with it? Don't underestimate kids. They're pretty amazing. I know this from hockey where we have 12 year olds playing adult hockey.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

You're making huge assumptions there.
    A couple of weeks ago we had an 8 year old at Monsal Hill Climb - he seemed to be having a great time.
    Kids play competitive football much much younger
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    FJS wrote:

A couple of weeks ago we had an 8 year old at Monsal Hill Climb - he seemed to be having a great time.

Easy to see both sides, there are a lot of kids dumped in competitive sport to fulfil the ambition of failed parents, or parents projecting their own needs onto the kids. On the other hand if the kids are having fun it doesn't matter. Like anything it's a balance between several things. And whilst I'm impressed with those that can draw absolute conclusions from a couple of photos, it does seem a little worrying to see kids this young on such serious (expensive) bikes. But I don't know the circumstances so shouldn't judge.
  • dougzz wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Easy to see both sides, there are a lot of kids dumped in competitive sport to fulfil the ambition of failed parents, or parents projecting their own needs onto the kids. On the other hand if the kids are having fun it doesn't matter. Like anything it's a balance between several things. And whilst I'm impressed with those that can draw absolute conclusions from a couple of photos, it does seem a little worrying to see kids this young on such serious (expensive) bikes. But I don't know the circumstances so shouldn't judge.

its not that different to kids who have the best football boots, ok maybe a bit, but what about kids who do motorsport they get loads spent on them and very few make it, chances are a 10 year old in belgium starting cycling will be pretty decent in 10 years time.

We are starting to get loads of kids racing with the go-ride system we have started and its great watching them race they give it so much at the end they get off their bikes and lay on the floor for a couple of minutes