Sorry, yet another lighting question...

CambsNewbie
CambsNewbie Posts: 564
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Im looking for lights so I can continue cycling to work through the winter. 95% of my 13 mile route is on unlit rural roads with no street lighting at all.

I'm getting very confused looking at all the options so I'm asking two questions..

How many lumen do I need to be able to see clearly and avoid all the pot holes?

Secondly any particular lights or brands you recommend?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Worth using the search tool as this has come up a few times recently. The commuting forum also covers this fairly often. You don't outline your budget but expect to pay about £100+. C+ and CW have also featured some good comparative reviews lately.

FWIW, I have the Cateye SS+ which is ok but easily outshone by the chaps in the club who use a dynamo hub/B&M light, etc.
  • Cheers
  • You won't need to spend anything like £100. LED torches offer far better value (brightness per buck than branded cycle lights (such as Cateye)

I've been using one of these for a year or so. It is stupidly bright. I've just ordered another to go on my helmet for MTBing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190473988066?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
  • This is the recommended DX set up - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5#17265285 - 26 quid.
  • And both of those are great for off roading, but if you don't want to dazzle anything driving or riding towards you get a road specific light like the imaginatively named philips led bike light (google it) or an exposure strada or one of the many dyno hub and light combos. All of these have lenses which shape the beam to put all of it on the road rather than using a symmetrical lense (torch) which only sticks about 20% on the road and wastes the rest.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • And both of those are great for off roading, but if you don't want to dazzle anything driving or riding towards you get a road specific light

Erm, or angle your torch down a bit :?: :roll:
  • tmsbird
    tmsbird Posts: 17
    I bought one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7w-CREE-LED-F ... 2562d32bae.
    Stupidly cheap and massively bright. the back light is a bit crap and the front light is a bit of a pain to get on and off. but it so bright, part of my ride is through an unlit park and I can see the path ahead of me for the first time. Also it takes a while to come about 3 weeks.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

Secondly any particular lights or brands you recommend?

Cheers guys

Depends on your budget - at the cheaper end you can get something like an UltraFire XM-L T6 , SSC P7 or even an XM-LT60 torch - all three torches can be had for (£15 - £25) on Ebay UK or DX. You'll need a mount (£5) and an 18650 battery and charger (£10). Battery life is generally quite poor with torches - however, it's quick and easy to whip out the battery and stick it on charge. There's another budget option in the XM-L T6 bike lamp format (£35) on Ebay - more bike-friendly than using a torch. In the mid-range area you can spend £50-£100 and get smaller, lighter, adequately bright, better battery-life bike-lights (tons of threads on them). All down to your budget.