Weight difference in wheel with 100 psi 23mm & 25mm tyre

Ezy Rider
Ezy Rider Posts: 415
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
your typical continental gatorskin tyres, one is a 23mm type another is 25mm type, say i fitted two front wheels, if inflation was 100psi , would the wheel with the 23mm tyre be noticably lighter or pretty much the same as the 25mm ?

Comments

• Given the same wheel, you will only have a difference of what the differnece of tyres is, as air weighs almost nothing. Not much of a difference at all.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Maybe a few grams difference, I even doubt a top pro would tell the difference to be honest. In winter you'll probably put on more clothing so any weight advantage is negligible considering 25mm tyres in winter is probably better.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    To be honest you'll probably like the feel of the 25mm tyre more anyway, as long as you rims aren't too narrow. I will switch back to 25mm for winter once I've acquired a set of wheels with at least a 20mm width. They just roll better.

Wheel/tyre profile really does make more difference than that tiny weight difference ever will. Why else are Mavic creating these "wheel/tyre systems"? (And no I don't use Mavic wheels or tyres either) :P
  • Slightly OT but you can certainly tell an empty dive cylinder from a full one. But then, they are pumped to 232 bar (yes that really is 232!) and for our friends across the water that translates into about 3200psi.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    1 litre of air at atmospheric pressure weighs about 1.2g and say a tyre has a volume of about 2 litres, so at 6 bar that means 12 litres i.e. 14g of air. As a 25mm tyre has about 20% bigger volume, then you're talking about a whopping 3g increase (ignoring most gas laws)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..