Tiagra to Ultegra crank, subtle or dramatic improvement ?

Ezy Rider
Ezy Rider Posts: 415
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
I have my new carbon bike build with its 170mm double compact tiagra crank ,if I bought the ultegra 170mm double compact crank, are we talking subtle or chalk and cheese improvements ?

Comments

• Probably a little bit not much just keep tweeking them to keep them running mint
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You won't notice a thing.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 on no difference. Apart from your wallet will be lighter.
  • Ezy Rider
    why the 80 quid price difference ?
  • Ezy Rider wrote:
    why the 80 quid price difference ?

Aah! thats the difference.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ezy Rider
    emperors new clothes marketing strategy ?
  • so what is the difference then? a couple of grams? nothing performance wise?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Recently upgraded from a FSA Gossamer crankset (~£130) to an SRAM Red (~£250)

The SRAM Red is a tiny bit lighter (40g - 800g vs 760g) and now matches the other Red components on the bike.

Apart from that, there is no noticeable difference.
    Simon
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    cougie wrote:
    +1 on no difference. Apart from your wallet will be lighter.

+ 1 on no difference again
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    all comes down to weight......................of your wallet!
  • Most groupsets are not any different other than the weights. They all work, and all work the same. As said before, only difference will be in the G's, and even then you won't notice any difference at all, unless your savings 100's of G's on every part.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    So you can double the weight saving by riding with your wallet. Less crank & lkess cash.

Old stats from weightweenies but give you an idea as to the relative weight savings:
    > Tiagra FC-4500. 52-39T. 2007. 175 mm 39/52. 975 g
    > Shimano Ultegra FC-6600. 2007. 175 mm 39/53. 853 g

So save 122grams...
    Rich
  • I dont agree. I think the difference is subtle but noticeable. Over 4 years I have gone from Tricros with 105 to boardman with Rival/Force to boardman with ultegra to Giant TSR SL with full durace Di2. There is a definate difference bwtween them although they all do the same thing - transfer force to the rear pedal.. There are diffeences in both the feel of force transfr and the feel of transfer.

Chris
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I dont agree. I think the difference is subtle but noticeable. Over 4 years I have gone from Tricros with 105 to boardman with Rival/Force to boardman with ultegra to Giant TSR SL with full durace Di2. There is a definate difference bwtween them although they all do the same thing - transfer force to the rear pedal.. There are diffeences in both the feel of force transfr and the feel of transfer.

Chris

You are a JEDI, Think I do.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I noticed a difference when I switched from an unbranded semi-sealed square taper bottom bracket with an unbranded chainset to a Deore chainset on a Hollowtech II.

But only a very slight difference.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I dont agree. I think the difference is subtle but noticeable. Over 4 years I have gone from Tricros with 105 to boardman with Rival/Force to boardman with ultegra to Giant TSR SL with full durace Di2. There is a definate difference bwtween them although they all do the same thing - transfer force to the rear pedal.. There are diffeences in both the feel of force transfr and the feel of transfer.

Chris

That be the bike thats the difference...my Look 586 is flexy in the bottom bracket but my Cervelo S2 is rock solid....both have FSA K force lite chainsets,...same length and same standard rings.

Unless your compairing ISIS to outboard BB say then no your wont notice any difference....ISIS to outboard tho is a massive difference !
  • I have a Tiagra chainset on one bike and ultegra on the other. Ultegra makes more noise, that's the only difference.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706

Chris
    And you're trying to tell us that a Tricross has the same BB and chainstay stiffness as a Giant TCR SL frameset? In some parts that's called "taking the p1ss".

Ultegra is a little lighter, it might be slightly stiffer (hollow arms, Tiagra are not) but most riders can't tell the difference. Chalk and slightly less chalk.

Spend your money on something you know makes a difference; my suggestions are: tyres, wheels and riding your bike more.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.