Bike reviews

type.rst
type.rst Posts: 50
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hello guys i hope this is the right place for this topic. Is there another site apart from this which is good for bike reviews? There alot of reviews on this site but a few bikes which im interested in, this site does not have a review on them. Also its good to have a 2nd opinion. Thank you.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Google is your friend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bike+reviews

But anyway. What particular bikes?
  • Yes i know how to google, thats not what i was asking for lol
  • My budget was originally £200 - £300 so was looking at bikes like decathlon rockrider 5.2 (£230). Then i started looking at GT avalanche 2010 disk (£300).

But now im starting to consider GT avalanche 2011 hydro (£400) and carrera vulcan 2011 (£411)

Im new to biking so im a little unsure whether i should spend £400 odd straight away or just buy the rockrider for £230. Im not to keen on the looks of the rockrider and i really want disk breaks. Confusion Confusion
  • type.rst wrote:
    My budget was originally £200 - £300 so was looking at bikes like decathlon rockrider 5.2 (£230). Then i started looking at GT avalanche 2010 disk (£300).

But now im starting to consider GT avalanche 2011 hydro (£400) and carrera vulcan 2011 (£411)

Im new to biking so im a little unsure whether i should spend £400 odd straight away or just buy the rockrider for £230. Im not to keen on the looks of the rockrider and i really want disk breaks. Confusion Confusion

From a viewpoint of the price ranges you are looking at, it would be a bit better to get the avalanche hydro, as if you are not sure, they will bring more smiles in my opinion. It's better to spend the extra cash and get a decent bike from the start, rather than get the cheapest possible and risk being unhappy because it isn't what you were expecting.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    +1 for the GT
    Had a few over the years and they always bring a smile to my face when riding them
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • MrGeebs
    MrGeebs Posts: 62
    Spend as much as you can afford imo, always & on everything.
    um .. . . . .
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Problem with looking for reviews on those bikes is they're fairly low end bikes. The magazines etc review entry level hardtails once a year and their starting price for what they consder to be entry level has crept up over the years and the last lot (IIRC) were around the £700 mark.

When you're looking at the bikes, try to look at where the money is going and where the saving are being made. For example a £400 bike with a good spec might have a frame made of girders and weigh a cool metric ton whereas a similar priced bike may have a lower spec but have a lighter, more agile frame.

Feel the wieght of the bikes and look for a better frame, everything else can be upgraded as you get the bug and start assigning more funds to your new hobby.

Just guessing but you're looking at Halfords. Now you're pushing the budget to £400 or so, have a look at actual bike shops as well.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Entry level in some magazines is said to be £700 - not the one I write for ;-)

If pushing the budget up, look at the higher spec Rockriders.
  • Keep a look out for bike shop offers, if you can find a last season bike sat on the shelf that fits your size and budget you've usually got a fair chance of sealing a sound deal. Good luck.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Kinesis XC3
    Trek 1.5