Rear facing dropout - best way to remove/replace wheel

ChrisSA
ChrisSA Posts: 455
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

My PX Stealth has rear facing drop outs. What is the best way to get the wheen out of these.
I can cope with veritcal dropouts easily, as the cassette falls into the chain, but rear facing seems a little tricky.

How stupid am I being??

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You just need 3 hands. Easier with the bike upside down.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I take the QR skewer out when changing the wheels in my P3.
    Put the wheel inside the RM cage, hook up the chain and then pull the wheel to the rear and slot it in the drop out.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    hopper1 wrote:
    I take the QR skewer out when changing the wheels in my P3.
    Put the wheel inside the RM cage, hook up the chain and then pull the wheel to the rear and slot it in the drop out.
    +1
    I can manage on my Ridley Dean without taking the skewer out but it us just easier to remove it - fit wheel then pop the skewer back in...

i'm all for an easy life.. 8)
  • ChrisSA
    That sounds similar to how I managed it the other day.

Last night was just a big no go though...will try again one day...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    To remove - put in lowest front highest rear cogs (small small). Pull wheel backwards until free. Loop chain over the QR and your out.

Reverse to get back in.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • John.T
    Try staying clean with a well lubed chain though. I can see why they do it but it is not as convenient as vertical drop-outs. A 23mm tyre sits just right in my Stealth. I could not bring the wheel any further forward if I used a smaller tyre as it is right at the front of the drop-out and I would never want to use a bigger one so the adjustment is meaningless for me.
  • ChrisSA
    Cheers guys.

My rear wheel could go forwards a fair bit yet, but I've get to play with it properly. Yesterday's task was centering the rear PX brake.

I've just looked at your gallery John, that rear wheel is very snug.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    You're lucky to have rear facing dropouts. my Orbea Ora has virtical ones but the wheel is so tight to the frame I have to deflate the tyre to get it out! :cry:
  • John.T
    ChrisSA wrote:
    I've just looked at your gallery John, that rear wheel is very snug.
    That is set with the adjusters screwed right out. In fact there is only one in there. One seized up and I had one heck of a job getting it out so it is a good job I don't need them. I would check yours and grease them.
    Bike now has PX 82/101 wheel and Conti Podium 22mm tubs. A bit more clearance. Pic in sig. Now no excuses for poor times, only old legs.