New bike noises

mrtuk
mrtuk Posts: 75
edited October 2011 in The workshop
OK, so have new bike, and there are a few noises that i need help with.

1. clicking when in small ring on front, and smallest ring on back.
- only seems to be when pedalling at certain speeds (e.g. stops if i slow down pedal rate)

2. front disc brake (I think) sounds like it rubs when moving bike from side to side (i.e. don't notice when cycling normally, but when trying to get going and bike moves 5-10 degrees either side of vertical as i pedal i hear the noise. Also, front disc brake is noisy when putting on (a bit like if there was a bit of paper sticking into the spokes and hitting 1 or 2 of them, then when i pull brakes on it would be like the paper is hitting more of the spokes), which I assume is related - perhaps pads not adjusted correctly?

Any ideas? Do i just take into bike shop and get them to fix as part of the 6 week freebie service?

Thanks

Comments

• 1: It's generally not recommended that you use the extremes of the gearing system. Although it may say "27" speed or whatevever, you wouldn't generally use them all. The sound is probably the chain rubbing on the front derailleur. If you take a look at the line of the chain when it's in the position you describe, it will be at an acute angle. Try to ride with the chain reasonably straight. It will help to not wear the chain, front chain rings and the cassette out.

2: Front disc rubbing when you corner or lean the bike is probably the front wheel loose. If the wheel has a skewer (quick release) then try tightening it. Flip open the lever and turn the "nut" on the opposite side a few turns whilst holding the lever. Now close the lever. When it takes a LOT of effort to close the lever fully then it's tight.

Disc brakes do make a noise when operated. Discs normally have slots drilled in them to help shed water and these can make clicking sounds.

If in doubt take the bike back for it's service. But in the long run you really need to learn how your bike works and how to fix it. It will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. Have you thought of a cycle maintenance course??
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    1:... The sound is probably the chain rubbing on the front derailleur.

I think that's it - happened this morning and it twigged that when on smallest cogs on both front + rear there's more 'slack' in the chain, so i think it's when i'm not pedalling fast enough the chain just dinks the frame!

Solution - as you say don't use the extremes ... or pedal faster i guess !
    2: Front disc rubbing when you corner or lean the bike is probably the front wheel loose.

I'll try it - I think the quick release levers were fairly loose, but assumed that was how it was meant to be and that i always just over tightened them !
    ... in the long run you really need to learn how your bike works and how to fix it. ...
    ... Have you thought of a cycle maintenance course??

definitely want to be able to do these things ... cycle maintenance course would be great - just finding the time ... happy to tinker with most things for myself, but hydraulic discs are something i'd like to learn about maintaining before playing !