9 speed/10 speed comapatibility

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Hi

I'm trying to buy a second hand pair of 105 shifters, and was wondering about compatibility -

Is right hand 10 speed shifter compatible with a 9 speed cassette?
Are left hand triple shifters compatible with double rings?

Not sure yet whether I'm going 10 or 9 speed (9 preferbably....don't want quicker wearing thinner 10 speed stuff....which I assume is pricier?)

Cheers

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    1/ Is right hand 10 speed shifter compatible with a 9 speed cassette?
    2/ Are left hand triple shifters compatible with double rings?
    Not sure yet whether I'm going 10 or 9 speed (9 preferably....don't want quicker wearing thinner 10 speed stuff....which I assume is pricier?)
    1/ No.
    2/ It will work but may not index quite right.
    10sp does not wear any faster than 9sp. The only real difference is the chain is narrower on the outside. The rollers, etc are almost the same.
    The shifters are the most expensive part of the group so if you can get 10sp reasonably cheap then go for 10.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Hi

I'm trying to buy a second hand pair of 105 shifters, and was wondering about compatibility -

Is right hand 10 speed shifter compatible with a 9 speed cassette?
    Are left hand triple shifters compatible with double rings?

Cheers
    If you use 10s spacers in the 9s cassette it should work (with one redundant click,
    and/or make adjustments to the rear mech limit screws), no?
  • John.T
    If you use 10s spacers in the 9s cassette it should work (with one redundant click,
    Most Shimano cassettes (105 and up) have at least the 3 largest sprockets on a carrier which can not be split so this is not really a feasible.
  • de_sisti
    John.T wrote:
    Most Shimano cassettes (105 and up) have at least the 3 largest sprockets on a carrier which can not be split so this is not really a feasible.

The sprockets are held together by rivets. Remove the rivets and you should be ok.
  • de_sisti
    edited October 2011
    Most Shimano cassettes (105 and up) have at least the 3 largest sprockets on a carrier
    which can not be split so this is not really a feasible.

The sprockets are held together by rivets. Remove the rivets and you should be ok.
  • John.T
    De Sisti wrote:
    John.T wrote:

Just go and have a close look at a 105 cassette. You can not do this.
  • de_sisti
    Anyway,,,, a cassette lower in Shimano's range (or something compatible) will do.
    Use 10s spacers on the 9s cassette and it'll work.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    De Sisti wrote:
    Anyway,,,, a cassette lower in Shimano's range (or something compatible) will do.
    Use 10s spacers on the 9s cassette and it'll work.

So, get a 9 speed cassette and new spacers, butcher it about, fingers crossed and voilà, or maybe just get a 10 speed cassette and chain, job done!
  • de_sisti
    Flasher wrote:

So, get a 9 speed cassette and new spacers, butcher it about, fingers crossed and voilà, or maybe just get a 10 speed cassette and chain, job done!

This made me laugh, as many
    on the web don't/can't/won't accept the view/opinion of others. :wink:
  • John.T
    So he gets his 105 10sp shifters and then buys a set of 10sp spacers, a low spec 9sp cassette and new chain to go with it. He then has to find a spacer to make the cassette fit the freehub. This is just a bodge. Far better, and cheaper, to get a 10sp cassette and chain as that is all he needs to complete the job. The mechs and chainset will work fine.
    It is not about opinions. When people ask for advice you should deal in facts based on makers specs and practical experience (which shows you can often push the specs).
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    De Sisti wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Your opinion is fine, just flawed, complicated and more costly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    De Sisti wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

I'd not want to ride your bike.
  • Hm looks like I opened a can of worms there!

Ok, looks like I'll be going 10 speed then, I'm not keen messing around with spacers!
    BTW, is there any real benefit from 10 speed....or is just a another ''make something new'' scenario?
    Cheers!
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Hm looks like I opened a can of worms there!

Ok, looks like I'll be going 10 speed then, I'm not keen messing around with spacers!
    BTW, is there any real benefit from 10 speed....or is just a another ''make something new'' scenario?
    Cheers!

Think so mate lol.

TBH your better off just getting a 10 speed cassette...their not silly money.
    Your not notice much difference 9 to 10speed....gear spacing is a little better but can depend on how you ride / cadence. 10speed wont make you go faster lol.

How much you got to send on a cassette ? I have a few near new 10speed cassettes (think SRAM 1070s) if your interested send me a PM :D
  • PMd you cheers
  • John.T
    10sp gives you one more gear ( :wink: ) but this usually means filling in a gap in the middle of the cassette. For instance a 9sp 12/23 looses the 18 which is a very useful gear especially in races. On a 12/27 you loose the 16 as well so you get wider gaps just where you don't need them. My ideal would be a 50/34 with 12/27 11sp. Straight through from 12 to 19.
    Also 9sp will get more difficult to replace like 8sp is already.
  • John.T wrote:
    Also 9sp will get more difficult to replace like 8sp is already.

Good point - 10 speed it is then!