Flats to SPD

leevil knievil
leevil knievil Posts: 162
edited October 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Similar to the spd to flats thread i have been changing from flats to spd's when riding round bridleways up around the peaks etc have found after doing a few hours riding my knees start to give a bit of pain, is this normal because of differrent foot position? further forward with the spd but it does feel comfortable on my feet.
work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    The knee pain could be for a number of reasons, but like you say it could be down to a different foot position, or there's too little float for you.

It can be a case of trial and error to get the cleats right, try and position them so that your feet are in as similar position as possible to how they are on flat pedals. If you ride with your heels in on flats then position the cleats so that your heels are in a bit etc.

If there isn't enough float, in which case you may want to try a different brand of clipless, IIRC the time system provides quite a bit of float.
  • Changed my cleat position before my ride today this deffinatley made a difference , felt more comfortable and seemed to increase power through the cranks, hopefully no more knee pain.
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013