Winter riding - Slicks or semi slicks

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Probably been asked before but I'm having a lazy day and thought I'd throw it out there again.

Ride slicks all year (well spring thru to autumn) and wondering if it's a good idea to keep 'em on in the winter?

Just picked up a set of Michelin Dynamic semi's for a tenner and wondering if anyone had experience of them in the winter months?

Cheers

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Tread on a road bike tyre on the road does nothing for you. Tread (on the road) is ALL about clearing water and a road tyre is too narrow to trap water. Slicks all the way.

The only exception is ice and snow - but then you really need studs for ice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    What meanredspider said.

Lots of detailed info on this on Sheldon Brown's site if you're interested:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tread
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Maybe get some good quality tyres that are known to be grippy instead of the cheapo Michelins?

Winter's the time for riding good quality tyres that are grippy and puncture proof, not the cheapest tyres you can find with some token tread :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • dg74
    amaferanga wrote:
    Maybe get some good quality tyres that are known to be grippy instead of the cheapo Michelins?

Winter's the time for riding good quality tyres that are grippy and puncture proof, not the cheapest tyres you can find with some token tread :wink:

Yeah I picked them up solely to run till they go in the winter and keep my good tyres over till the spring, etc.

On the advice given, I think I'll just swap back to my good tyres and run them till spring then replace for the new season. Mind you, these michelin's might just be good for the turbo trainer if the forecasted snow arrives.
  • dg74
    Graeme_S wrote:
    What meanredspider said.

Lots of detailed info on this on Sheldon Brown's site if you're interested:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tread

Thanks for the link - some cracking information on there.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Dynamics are almost as bad as my other hated tyre, Conti's Ultra Sport, had my one and only crash on the Dynamics a couple of winters ago.

As others have said, bike tyre profiles are too rounded to worry about aquaplaning.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm using Schwalbe Aquas through the winter. Basically slick, but with a slight tread pattern designed to help grip in the wet. Decent puncture protection also.

Impressed with them so far.