Extending Reba travel

CraigXXL
CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some Reba SL dual air 100mm. Can you extend the travel on these up to 120mm?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some yes some no

if it has a spacer to remove then yes if it does not then no.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've got Reba sls and mine are supposed to be 80mm or 100mm, they gave about 70mm till I removed the spacer then gave another 20mm, they clearly said on the side where the air pressure recommendations are what they travel they were capable of but quite exagerated in both cases.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I pull them apart this weekend to see if any travel spacers are installed.
  • islandman wrote:
    I've got Reba sls and mine are supposed to be 80mm or 100mm, they gave about 70mm till I removed the spacer then gave another 20mm, they clearly said on the side where the air pressure recommendations are what they travel they were capable of but quite exagerated in both cases.
    That's because the negative air spring sucks some of the travel down. If you have less in the negative than the positive by as much as 10 PSI then you should have all 80/100mm. However, in use that pressure combination while riding doesn't feel right as there isn't much small bump sensitivity. When actually riding losing that 10mm doesn't actually make a difference as ride height at sag is still virtually the same.

Some to sum it up, losing that 10mmm doesn't make a difference.
  • I'm finding I'm using pretty much all my travel on my 120mm on my reba sl's I wouldn't say I'm doing anything to use all that just XC and not at speed. Would upping the air make a difference. I'm 16 1/2 stone.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is your sag setting?

and yes you should use all your travel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown